Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 15 April 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!!!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. 

Clare: I'm so very sorry about Limpy's diagnosis.

Photo by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Surprised to hear about your rain, Heather: to rub it in, it's been a glorious day here.

Went to a relatives home for a coffee this morning, and to give the b'day present and good wishes. When we got back, we changed into gardening clothes and attacked the bare flower bed - we took out a lot of overgrown stuff last year and have been deciding what to plant. I've had another go at lupins, which I don't seem to be very successful with, and have added some pretty things which are also spires, "Liatris Spicata"   - also labelled Blazing Stars, and an Erysimum bush.  Replanted some small bulbs which we disturbed, and fed everything. Meanwhile my OH went to the allotment to fetch some chicken wire to put over the whole bed, as of course Bonnie will want to dig in the soft soil :-(

After lunch I left my OH and Bonnie dozing in the garden, and had a sit down indoors myself. When I went out later to see how they were, I found two places in the lawn where the dog had dug up pieces of turf which my OH had bought and carefully inserted to cover some previous holes.......

• Heather - How frustrating for you, not knowing how to alter the spray gun. It's the little things which are annoying, isn't it?!

I keep forgetting to add that the (now huge) nest in our apple tree seems to be a Magpie's nest! We hadn't thought of that, until I saw the magpie coming and going. I've never seen one of their nests close up before, as they're usually in a very high tree. Have taken some photos.

• Lovely day out - tired now so will give details tomorrow.

LINDA - is it possibly someone else's nest and Maggie goes in looking for eggs?

Looks like we shall be gardening tomorrow.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• OG -- I thought that when I first saw it, and wondered if it was a pigeons nest with a visiting magpie. But these days, we only ever see the magpies in the tree.

We hope to do some more gardening tomorrow, too. Could be the last day with any sun. Glad you enjoyed your day out today.

• Hi all. first time this week as not a lot to say. Just looked at this last page and note that you have all been busy.

Had some men call round Monday as they were calling next door re a tree felling. Asked if we wanted our hedges trimmed down which OH agreed to plus a trimming of the cherry tree and yew tree, took us for quite a bit of money so don't want that too often.   Also looking at quotes to have the front of the house painted and repaired where its rendered and the conservatory painted. More money to shell out but hey ho that's life.  OH also managed our three lawn areas this week, first cut of the year, which is later that we have been doing.

Had a few days of really sunny weather but they say we're in for a change. Take care all and have a good weekend.

• Annette - Have a safe trip. Think the weather will be a bit cooler than it has been of late on the UK east coast.

• Evening all:

Lindybird: I'm taking two pairs of shoes. One waterproof; one not; both very comfy and both will go with the few basic (and comfy) pants and tops I'm taking.  Also have two Kit-Kats stashed in my carry-on - my preferred travelling chocolate treat!

OG: Have two pairs of OH's toasty socks stashed too.  I used to do a newsletter for a historic organization and hated it when I had to come up with filler. It was bad enough rewriting and editing the submitted items.

Heather: Off Saturday afternoon to LAX for evening departure;  arrive Heathrow late Sunday am. Nephew and kids are picking me up and taking me to niece's where sister and BiL will be. We'll have a cuppa and a snack and then the three of us will head up to Lincolnshire.  New Orleans! Is this oil industry-related? Has he been there before? Good luck with the hose spray; ours have various settings, but they all seem to be iffy on one setting or another.

Liz LFW: Yes, I Facetimed with my niece last week and she was sweltering . As I mentioned earlier, I'm taking layers.

I'm taking my laptop, so if I don't get a chance to look in tomorrow; will check in from Lincolnshire!  Have a good Saturday all.

• Good Morning, All, and bon voyage to Annette who is setting off soon.  (Only 2 pairs of shoes, I'd be anxious...... ;-)  )

A sunny start here, and warnings on tv that the weather will be breaking up this weekend, so back to normal temps soon. It's brought everything on now, in the garden - next doors huge magnolia is beautiful, and our white Stellata magnolia is at its best ever.

Have a good weekend, Everyone!

• This week has generally been busy. Found out the hard way that my BT Home Hub 5 was not capable of handling a Smart Home! Had to bite the bullet and upgrade to BT Smart Hub (Being an existing customer it at least came at half-price. It has definitely been summer this week, actually forecasting light showers tomorrow!

Having now installed the hub I realised that it would have been a good idea to have done this earlier as signal strength and range are far stronger. Some of the apps installation will have to wait for younger SD to come on Monday – not for know-how but eyes and small print!

Tomorrow it is a trek to Cheltenham for a family lunch for older SD for her birthday. She seems to be improving although the medications do, apparently have some odd side effects. She is also frustrated as she wants to get back to work and knows it is stil a long haul.

For anyone suffering colds etc. best wishes and get well soon.

• Been told I ought to spend some time indoors rather than straight back into the garden – major project there – everything out of perennials bed, OH then digging it through, and plants going back – why do they look as if they won’t all fit?

Our Friday report.  We decided that we could set out earlier than intended for coffee and a shared scone at the Old Toll Bar!  When we arrived at Dobbies Garden Centre, we went in the food hall first to buy cheeses and Scones to freeze.  Still weren’t hungry, so browsed around all the plants and enjoyed sunshine and fresh air.  We bought a few plants and then had lunch about 2pm – sandwiches were all we wanted.  We don’t look at all the fancy goods etc, so we then went to the nearby Farm Shop for meat, watercress and some lovely Lakeland Plum Bread.  We also bought ourselves slices of Cranston’s lovely Ullswater Pie which we just had this lunchtime, with salad.  Having arrived there, we shared a couple of chocolate tray bakes with a drink – so dinner wasn’t till 7pm, and I didn’t eat much of mine!  We agreed we’d had a very good day out, and slept well last night after the fresh air!

I have taken on a mainly advisory role this morning, but also dead-headed the Tete-a-Tete Daffs and am about to prune a small shrub which I think I can do myself.

Good to see posts, but need to get moving.  Just one reply, FORESTBOAR, I hope the family lunch goes well on Sunday.  Bye for now.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!