LOCH GARTEN OSPREY GABFEST for APRIL and MAY, 2018

• Ann thanks for this wonderful story.  Cuddling since 2014 (4 years) and this is the first I've seen it, read about it or been told about it.  Not much of a Gabfest thread, are we?

• Posted by Keith Rogers

on 1 May 2018 5:29 PM

FIRST OF MAY is the day I will declare any resident osprey that has not returned will not be returning so Bid Farewell to some well followed ospreys including a few we followed in 2017.

Blue 12 (GLESNI) at DOP

WHITE KL at Bassenthwaite

Kielder 3 Male

KEITH,  Thanks for your update & song link.  It is always sad when a followed osprey does not return.  Each has their devoted fans and their own value in the osprey  world.  I myself have followed Glesni and  personally miss her.

Readers might want to go back a page to pick up Keith's  link to the Bee Gee's First of May, which is strangely appropriate to the osprey topic at hand.

•  IN

IN  MEMORY OF GLESNI !!

I went over to Facebook and there was the top picture in my "memory" section, a picture from 1916 of Glesni in a ray of sunshine. Such a coincidence that I had to post it here.

Then in posting that picture I found in my picture file the bottom picture, dated 4-2-17.  So. FAREWELL, GLESNI.  We love you.

• Unknown said:

IN

IN  MEMORY OF GLESNI !!

I went over to Facebook and found the top picture in my "memory" section, a picture from 1916 of Glesni in a ray of sunshine. Such a coincidence that I had to post it here.

Then in posting that picture I found in my picture file the bottom picture, dated 4-2-17.  So. FAREWELL, GLESNI.  We love you.

And - BUT TIME HAS PASSED US BY - SOMEONE ELSE MOVED IN FROM FAR AWAY.

The new queen of Dyfi 3J also sitting on Montys three eggs.

Picture from DOP Facebook Page. With Thanks.

• GARDENBIRDER - HEROES AND VILLAINS - I think it was around this time four years ago that Blue 33 was a villain/scoundrel and many on these forums posted so.

After he ousted Blue 28 and then booted her eggs out of the nest.

I don't think they cuddled up at first - I remember Rutland posting unsuccessful mating attempts by 33 and bonding between these two is not going particularly well. Think they worked on it until she left 7 September with Blue 33 leaving next day.

Times soon change and this has been one of the best pairings for the following three years and he is loved by all.

•    I tuned in to frequent plunk plunks and EJ looks thoroughly drenched.

•  Plink plinks continue now quite rapidly.  Also now something is visable as it falls.  Does that mean hale?

•  Sure looked to me like I saw a fourth eggs just split seconds before this capture.  But couldn't be certain - probably wrong, as usual.

• FROM FACEBOOK

Now there is a name anybody can enjoy.  And I LOVE IT!

• Keith,  Thanks, you are right--must have been 2015 before there was any cuddling up with Maya!  I remembered that after I posted but neglected to correct myself--sorry.  Yes, 33 was a villain to begin with, chasing off his brother, Blue 28, and kicking out the eggs, but he has redeemed himself since.  Luckily, Blue 28 has nested near Rutland Water with another female, so all's well that ends well.  Do you know when Blue 28 found another nest?

June, Yes, Telyn is a lovely name.  And I trust you have seen Keith's correction on the 33 and Maya story--wasn't love at first sight--lol!  But the pairing has been going well from their 2nd season together.

Kind regards, Ann