Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife - Glaslyn Ospreys - APRIL 2018

As we have had a monthly thread for Glaslyn since 2016, I have started the thread for April. 

LINK TO MARCH THREAD.

I hope we get an Easter present today with the arrival of Mrs.G or Aran, it is always such a relief when they return.   

At the moment it is an Empty Nest.

• MrsG arrived @ 0521hr, Aran later:

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:

Update on 5F and the Croesor nest, on the Glaslyn FB page, posted about 2 hrs ago.

How enormously sad.  What a waste of a female who could be adding to the recovery of the Welsh population.  It's nothing short of criminal that this ridiculous nest still stands against the birds' best interests.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Aran has acquired a large Y shaped branch which he now doesn't know what to do with!. The look on Mrs G's face says it all!

© GLASLYN OSPREY PROJECT

• [first line edited:]

Using Clare’s post as the ”occasion”, i want to try and clarify this a bit (as this is all wide open to the www public): As far as i have information it is not “Glaslyn” that is causing this, Glaslyn (amongst others) has been arguing and lobbying to get it removed or moved. But the owners of the adjacent land on which it is erected, would not budge or even think about it. It is best to aim this sentiment at those people, and not at the Glaslyn project.

I was warned off elsewhere, saying that being straight-out negative online could reflect back on the Glaslyn project. Being told this, if it happened, i do think that would be our loss too. 

The cam on the Croesor nest is Glaslyns and still there for protection reasons and observations. But that doesn’t mean they “agree” or support this setup.

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree! 

• I think I remember Glaslyn posting a disclaimer last year that said it was the landowners who wanted the nest and wouldn't even consider having it moved or resited

• I would agree wholeheartedly Clare. Another season wasted for this beautiful bird unless a strong male comes along and sees Aran off (unlikely).

OM..this post is not apportioning blame to anyone. I am fully aware of all the politics surrounding this nest. Just merely stating that the situation is very sad and a great loss to the Welsh osprey population.

• Unknown said:
    Clare, just to clarify this a bit... it is not "Glaslyn" that is causing this...

I am certain that Clare was not aiming her criticism at Glaslyn, she knows the situation all too well.

IMAGICAT

• Caught sight of the long shot of an osprey a tree so I did a little vid to show how it got there.  Well, it doesn't really show it getting there, but one can put 2 and 2 together ;)

IMAGICAT

• Thanks to Sheila and Scylla for enlightening me a bit about backgrounds and intentions and lift my ignorance. I have gone back and edited my post a bit, because really,my main message was in my heart not “aimed” at Clare, and the start of my post was very possibly a tad too straight a translation from my Dutch thinking into the English writing. Thanks for the chance to go back and rephrase that.

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree! 

• To avoid any confusion regarding the Pont Croesor Nest, in case anyone does not know about this nest, Glaslyn issued this statement 6 March

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife