Osprey Chat thread for APRIL 2018

We're still in "bring it on!" mode, as Clare introduced March's thread - because so many of our birds have been delayed by "weather".  Well, I sure do hope that's why they're not here :o

IMAGICAT

• Yes Cathy we do. I have heard there are a few Osprey's around but as of yet have seen none, there are also Golden Eagles further west, still have to see them also. We do have two RSPB sites The Forsinard flows (29 miles west) Dunnet Head (20 miles east).

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• One of the Minsmere management has spent time at Forsinard in the last couple of years - she absolutely loved it there.  She also happens to be a past member of the LG Osprey Team.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• The chap in charge at Forsinard was at LG when I was there in 2010.  Paul Turner.  It's not an area I known very well at all, and have never been to Forsinard itself.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Also,,, also  Eggs laid within 2/3 days of local copulations not really a good indication of what batch did the business. mating can start 10 /12 days before the first egg appears.

It isn't the "appearance of the male bird that makes the female ovulate" not something that I have read up on however. Eggs don't appear like a rabbit from a hat . they must be made with high demands of sustenance

Semen is stored in the oviduct in space just above the uterus from the start of mating and released  up the duct  within a time window when the duct is clear of an egg under construction Oviduct  in fowls can be around 15"" long Next release usually is clock is correct around 40/60 minutes  after lay how ever mating still takes place till clutch complete.

How ever eggs laid by a bird inside the ovulation period on arrival likely means another bird is involved. Or so fit and healthy  it is unfertile, though arguably unlikely in an undomesticated bird.

Size of the clutch usually indicates a healthy bird even a tough old bird of around 30,, and the quantity and efficiency conversion of adequate diet provided. 4 in a clutch and 4 surviving even less.

Both birds reproduction system close down after breeding and go into hibernation. everything retracts inwards ,,even his testes. so unless birds are receptive  systems may still be dormant

• Considering EJ's behaviour with her neighbour while waiting for Odin to turn up, perhaps she has been exploring the neighbourhood to see what else might be on offer.

Kind regards, Ann

• 26/28 hours  26/28 days 26/28 weeks.. such is life all ovulation. no difference  And she is not waiting on  Odin,,? Odin!!!!?! Stupid name for an osprey ,he only had one eye ball far less a mark 100.000  eyeball

Plenty better names for the boys,, plenty were in Drimitour lodge artifacts still there actually (salmon from the Spey by bomb) and One still around not salmon btw.... just mind you if titled  he better  prove to be a exceptional bird.

Also an osprey reputedly killed in a dispute on loch Gamna 1897ish  by Mr J.A. Harvie Brown 1844-1916 interned very close to moi supposedly interned in Drimitour though I never have yet discovered the specimen all his specimen supposedly desatroyed by fire. However a fair number did survive. I never saw them but my father did. in the fifties  don't know where they are now. Another story

• P.S. That should read ,,"witnessed by J,A," supposedly..wee bit about him in Wikipedia,, My error

• In DOP's encouraging post on FB yesterday,it says there  are 9 known birds that haven't returned so far We know Glesni, Clarach and her partner are 3 Who are the others?

• patily, have a look at the UK Ospreys Countdown page. It's really useful and might answer your question.

• There are 4 birds more overdue than Glesni