BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2018

Some of Darren Dawson's beautiful photos of the Balgavies Osprey Family. 
GREEN BF 

LAST YEARS UNRINGED FEMALE WITH HER BROOD OF THREE
We cannot forget one of the big highlights of last season, was BLUE YD himself visiting his natal nest, and best of all Darren was there to capture some fab photos of him. 
ADMIN CAN YOU PLEASE DELETE THIS POST AS IT IS NOT SHOWING WITHIN THE THREAD.   THERE ARE A FEW OTHERS THAT ARE SIMILARLY AFFECTED.       THE TEXT FLASHES ON TO THE SCREEN THEN DISAPPEARS AND LEAVES THE POST BLANK. 
  • Some history of the BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS.     

It is a SWT Nature Reserve near Forfar, Angus, Scotland.    There is no webcam on the nest, and there is no Visitor Centre, only a small Hide with limited car parking spaces. 

MALE - GREEN BF - RINGED HADDO 11 JULY 2004 - FIRST SEEN AT BALGAVIES IN 2008

FEMALE - WHITE UF - RINGED CLUNIE CASTLE 9 JULY 2009 - RING NUMBER 1428309  (SHE DID NOT RETURN TO THE NEST IN 2017)

FEMALE - UNRINGED - OCCUPIED THE NEST IN 2017 - and produced a brood of three. 

BLUE YD - RUNG AND SATELLITE TAGGED BY K. BROCKIE AND ROY DENNIS 17 JULY 2012

ALL SUBSEQUENT BROODS HAVE NOT BEEN RINGED.

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2017

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2016

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2015

LINK TO BALGAVIES LOCH OSPREYS 2014

I found it sad that White UF did not return last year after her brood of 4 in 2016, I always wonder if she was the female who first turned up at the nest minus a Darvic but had a BTO ring, I guess we will never know.     

I had watched her for 4 seasons at Balgavies, she was a wonderful female, and I would feel guilty if I did not mention her in this years Opening thread.  

Lets hope that the Unringed female that Green BF bred with last year turns up safely and of course the main man himself.  

• Some of Darren Dawson's beautiful photos of the Balgavies Osprey Family. 
    GREEN BF 

ALL PHOTOGRAPHS COPYRIGHT OF DARREN DAWSON
  • Mary, thanks for setting this up. Ian

• I don't know what is happening but I am making posts and they are disappearing.  

Let's see if I can add to this one. 

Some of Darren Dawson's beautiful photos of the Balgavies Osprey Family. 
    GREEN BF 

We cannot forget one of the big highlights of last season, was BLUE YD himself visiting his natal nest, and best of all Darren was there to capture some fab photos of him. 
    I hope he has found a nest and is breeding himself somewhere. 
    I wish for ALL of our Ospreys to come home safely, but there is one very special one who I am hoping with all of my heart we will see her again this year at Loch Garten.   

GREEN BF 

I hope he has found a nest and is breeding himself somewhere. 
    I wish for ALL of our Ospreys to come home safely, but there is one very special one who I am hoping with all of my heart we will see her again this year at Loch Garten, or anywhere for that matter.   
    GREEN BF 
  • Thanks Mary for starting of the season for Belgavies Loch Ospeys.  Great opening - very informative and helpful for any new comers.

I too am having problems opening the first post but the second is OK.  Hopefully just one glitch and that is it for the season!

I do hope Darren will still be around this year.  He really spoilt us last year with all those lovely photos.  

Here's wishing the unringed female and Green BF a safe journey home and for another successful year at Balgavies.  

• Many thanks, Mary, for starting the 2018 thread for Balgavies.  Clearly this is becoming a favourite nest for us all.  Let's hope 2018 is another good year.

• It is not letting me post any photos Karen, the posts are still there when you edit it, but they disappear quickly.   It is such a pain and so time consuming to try and make a post.   I have tried various different ways, I even tried adding to the above post, but it just disappears again as well.  

I wanted to post photos of the Balgavies family including Blue YD but they just disappear.  

• Mary, I cannot view your posts either.  

I know you have posted some great photos by Darren as I got a glimpse of them but then they disappear.  So strange - I hope this sorts itself out.