FCS ABERFOYLE - 2018

Earlier I posted the latest position for Blue LH0(17)   640  (from Clarach's first nest in 2017) who is still enjoying life in Heulva, Spain.  I then realised it was still the 2017 thread.  So I am reposting on this 2018 Aberfoyle thread.  Or should Blue LH0(17) be on the Satellite Tracked Ospreys thread, rather than on the 2018 Season?

The link to the 2017 thread is here,  and I will repeat some of Mary's start to that thread:

CLARACH Blue 2R(13)f  from the DYFI Osprey Project settled on the FCS Aberfoyle's main nest last year, and attracted an unringed male.

ABERFOYLE WEBCAM LINK - It operates between the hours of 09.30 am to 5.30 pm.

THE LODGE AT FOREST VISITOR CENTRE - Facebook Page where you will find current information and also historic info on the project.

This is the story of the return of Clarach to Wales
The Lodge announced that Clarach arrived on the nest at Aberfoyle on 20 April 2017. 
The 2016 chicks from the same nest with two unringed breeding birds, were Blue PC0(16) m and  Blue PC1(16) m (died/MIA/tag failure in Portugal) were both males were tagged, and Blue PC2(16) f .

Roll on the 2018 Season!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Mike B said:

Ian do you have a link please?

Mike, I had the same view as Karen but was using a different link of http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/forest-parks/queen-elizabeth-forest-park/aberfoyle-ospreys. When I clck on either of the links (Karen's & mine) it now looks like the camera is off-line, possibly to stop irate RSPB forumites (like me) complaining about the lack of repairs to the nest! Let's hope the weather eases off a bit so they can fix the nest. Ian
  • Ian S said:

Ian do you have a link please?

Mike, I had the same view as Karen but was using a different link of http://scotland.forestry.gov.uk/forest-parks/queen-elizabeth-forest-park/aberfoyle-ospreys. When I clck on either of the links (Karen's & mine) it now looks like the camera is off-line, possibly to stop irate RSPB forumites (like me) complaining about the lack of repairs to the nest! Let's hope the weather eases off a bit so they can fix the nest. Ian

[/quote]

Ian - Some of us found last year when accessing the webcam using the link you have quoted that we could only see part of the nest.  The issue was raised on the techie thread and the other link which I posted and you refer to, resolved the issue giving a full view of the nest. 

The problem could be browser related but it is good that we have two webcam links should the issue arise again during the forthcoming season then at least we have something to try. 

• Thanks Karen, I had already saved "your link" to my favourites. As you rightly say, the one I was using couldn't be changed to "full screen". Ian

• Camera still down after its brief appearance on Saturday. Ian

• Hope they get it working soon.  Clarach might arrive earlier now that she knows she has a nest to return to.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hi Clare, with reference to the Osprey spotted in Fife, of course Aberfoyle is also on the flight path as well as the other places mentioned. Ian

• LIVE CAMERA UPDATE.

The fact that we were able to see a picture was due to the fact that the radio guys were testing their side of the kit.

As I posted above work on the nest will,... subject to no gales or a 'second ice age'...as quoted by the charming Moira.....be carried out this Thursday. Live streaming will therefore start a some point after that.

Let's just pray that they get up there before a bird returns!

• Has this news as yet been confirmed  between  F.C.S. and  D.O.P.??

• Not that I'm aware. On The Lodge VC fb page, they have 'liked' a comment (and pictures) someone has made about her arrival. DOP have confirmed it is Clarach.

• Arguably this sighting may well be correct. Blue ring right leg mmhmmh mibi However as a courtesy between colleague establishments possibly one in particular it would have been better for some integrity and patience in this instance with eventually an announcement of fact and not supposition or impulse. It is something that keeps FCS Cowal&Trossachs apart from the "Inturnet followers" and deeevotees with more than a few in disagreement. of   FCS policy in these matters

IMHO well not so humble