Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 January 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Masked Boobies with Chick
Tern Island at Hawaiian Islands National Wildlife Refuge
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled Public Domain (Copyright-Free)

• Clare Bailey said:

Awwwww - it looks quite sweet.  How dangerous is it to humans?

Clare: I read that they aren't lethal to humans, but if one bites you, the toxin can cause a very painful bite. That toxin is strong enough to kill small animals bigger than the shrew. Today, I felt guilty for calling the little guy creepy. I was very gentle with him, even though I was a little freaked out to find him beside my bed. LOL! I hope he thrives in his new location.

----------------
    Since this is a public forum, I feel ethically obligated to say that it's rarely a good idea to relocate animals. Most animals are territorial, and if they're taken to a new place, they may have trouble with members of the same species already there. Relocation can also disrupt pair bonds, keep animals from raising young, keep them from finding immediate food and water, etc.
    I took the shrew over to the church ruins deep in the forest (instead of just putting him back outside), because he smelled really bad. I initially thought he was sick. I didn't want the hawks to eat him if he was full of bacteria (or virus). After reading about their species, I found out that they have scent glands that release musk. I should have figured it out immediately, because there's a very large black snake on my land that musked me on my first encounter with him. I had to shower and wash my hair three times. LOL Now that snake knows me, and he doesn't do that anymore when I see him outdoors. 
    I'm still not sorry that I moved the shrew (although I should be), because one of the red-tailed hawks could have seen him above ground and taken him as prey. That toxin may have made RT or his mate sick or even killed one of them. 
    (I relocated the field mouse, because if you don't take mice away, they will try to get back into the house.)
  • Good Morning, All.   Dry here.

Diane - Please don't feel guilty for doing what you thought best, and which sounded very sensible to me. 

• Today's pic:

"We're Rails!!"

• Hello, everyone.  After a solid 24 hours travelling, and a seven hour time change, I'm now home again from Cambodia.  A wonderful experience on so many levels ... but I'm far too tired to share it right now!  Just one story, brought to mind by Diane's 'critter'.  We had just arrived, after around 150 miles on no very good roads, and looking at all sorts of interesting things on the way, at our hotel for the night - sort of 'jungly', with separate bungalows with HUGE mosquito nets.  The porter had grabbed my suitcase and opened the door - then jumped back.  I jumped back as well, and said, 'What's the problem?'  'SNAKE!' he said - so I jumped back a bit further.  so dumped my suitcase, grabbed a snake-catching pole and two more people, and removed it.  I'm so glad that, in my normal stubborn manner, I had not insisted on taking my own suitcase ...!  I could also make a pretty good story from trying to get the mosquito net into position to do its job ... I didn't get bitten, so I probably made a reasonable job of it.  And it did stop the geckos falling off the wall onto me as I slept.

More when I've had some sleep and tried to work out whether it's Tuesday or half-past three ...!

• Goodness, Pat - sounds as if you had an interesting time, with lots of tales to tell.  Hope you can get refreshed and back into the groove for 'normal' life now you're back!

We've been extra busy - took some time out this morning to pop to the Travel Agents and book our flights for the autumn trip, grabbed some bread & milk, then back to the decorating.  Mostly being done by my OH.  He's painted half of the ceiling and walls in the bedroom as its rather strange to do when you are in an attic, and the ceilings lean down to reach lower than your waist: hence we paint it all one colour, for uniformity. Tomorrow he will paint the other half whilst I go out to buy yet another pot of gloss paint to do the window sills and skirting boards, goodness knows whether we'll like the colour this time!!

I notice that I will have to get out my pencil and start counting this weekend, as it's the Big Garden BirdWatch again.  No doubt we will have problems for about three days, as usual, as the Site will be inundated with people coming on to give their results  :-(

• aquilareen said:

Dau phoned last evening; they planned a visit to beach this morn, early before heat & while Toby can be let off leash. She tentatively asked about dropping in. Of course I invited them for lunch. There go my pasties! A batch of sausage rolls are in oven. Toy box in its “usual” spot. All under control. Dau had asked the Trio what they enjoyed most about their visit to the beach last week. Miss6 & Miss J both enjoyed “digging a big hole in the sand”. MissL’s favourite was playing with the soap in Gran’s bath. At home they use liquid soap.

It's always the little things......  Bet they love coming to your house!

• Hope to post tomorrow, just wanted to say Thanks to PatO for telling us about the snakey start to the Cambodian visit...

• Evening all:   Daughter left on crack-of-dawn flight (got her to the airport at 4:30!! - eeek!).  Back to normal, whatever that is.

Diane:  Didn't realize snakes 'musked' people. Sounds pretty stinky.

PatO:  My goodness! Seems like you just left.  I would not have had a good night's sleep under those circumstances.  Hope you took some photos to share when you're over the jet lag.

Lindybird: Did you and OH resolve the paint dilemma?

Have a good Saturday everyone.

• PatO: Welcome home! Your trip sounds like a true adventure. Were you able to sleep well under the mosquito netting? I slept under a mosquito net for a couple of nights in the Florida bush, and I found it to be claustrophobic. I look forward to your reports of your travels. 

AQ: Glad you had a nice lunch with the kiddies. Isn't it wonderful how something as simple as a bar of soap can be fascinating to young ones? Thanks for clarifying that Lizarda da Vinci wasn't the skink who succumbed to the heat. The article you linked about the small skinks was interesting. They can have up to five tails in various stages of re-growth. Nature is great! I'm going to believe that Lizarda is okay somewhere.

George: Nice to see you and read about your holidays.

Lindy: I hope the next paint experiment is a success. I loved your shrew poem! 

Heather: I saw the news about the terrible flooding in France. I hope your brother and his family are okay. If I'm recalling correctly, I think they live in southern France? 

Annette: Black snakes (also called Black Rat snakes or Black Pilot snakes) will release musk when they're scared. It was my fault that I got musked, because I didn't see him. He was lying against my front step and I stepped over him. 

Everyone have a good weekend!

• Unknown said:

Diane: Weird is the word. My question is, does anyone really think we'll still be around in 100,000 years given the way we're going?

Annette/Lindy: There was a time that I would have stridently argued with both of you. I would have insisted that ingenuity and the indomitable human spirit will save us, and our species will survive and evolve into better people. I don't have that optimism now. Over the last few months, I've had a growing sense of anxiety, dread, and foreboding. I've been telling myself that these feelings are just a bout of depression, but I don't really believe it.

These emotions are different from anything I've ever felt before. It's out of character for me to be fearful. Even when I've been depressed -- even during my lowest point -- I've always been fairly fearless. But my gut is telling me that "a big storm is comin'." That's a Midwestern metaphor we rural folks use when we think something bad is going to happen soon. I can't seem to shake the feeling.