Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 14 January 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

The New Moon (the dark moon) is the night of 16 January/morning of 17 January.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Western Meadowlark
William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge, Oregon USA
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled Public Domain (Copyright-Free)

• Oooh!  - going back a bit, but "Dances with Wolves"  is one of our favourites....

However, was never so disappointed in all my life as when going to see "Titanic"  !!!  - just shows how people see them differently. I got thoroughly bored by the end, and was highly amused, later, to see that people had actually counted the number of times she shouted "Jack!" which she did, over & over.

• Unknown said:
    CLARE - I hope the football results were satisfactory for LIMPY!

Very.  West Ham beat Huddersfield 4-1 away.

Unknown said:
    You seem to be getting out and about a lot for some wonderful photos!

I'm very pleased you're enjoying them.  I thought of you when I snapped the goldfinch on Friday.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Lindybird said:
    However, was never so disappointed in all my life as when going to see "Titanic"  !!!  - just shows how people see them differently. I got thoroughly bored by the end, and was highly amused, later, to see that people had actually counted the number of times she shouted "Jack!" which she did, over & over.

How strange.  It absolutely knocked me flat the first time I saw it - I went back to see it several times and then endured a long wait before it finally came out on video.  It remains a film I hate being interrupted watching!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Diane, thank you so much for the Meadowlark link. Such wonderful songs!! - Love them!! You're lucky to have some outstanding birds there, to enjoy.

• Was eating my breakfast and forgot to say that I hope you have a fantastic trip, Pat. Looking forward to your perhaps posting us a few pics, later on.

OG - I've been very sleepy ever since it got so cold here. It seems to affect me. I said to my Friend, I need to curl up and hibernate!  Keep yourself warm, and I hope you enjoy your trip out tomorrow.

• If anyone would like to see my Abberton photos click on this cheeky pair:

• Forgot to mention the utter classic which is the Green Mile.  That's an amazing film, though there are a few distressing scenes in it.

• I keep meaning to see that, Clare... its always on late, and when I record it to watch later, I then end up having to delete it to make way for other things. Our recording machine is in a lot of use these days. Like a lot of people, we watch things when we're ready instead of when they're on.

Love your pic, above, just great!  Will pop back later to see the others. I've come on to put on some of my own, before we go out to lunch today.

• This time last week, on Sunday, we went to Tatton Park which is a popular place in the N. West here:  there are a whole herd of red deer, and some cattle and sheep, plus some birds on the lake and in the woodland.

I love trees, even in winter, when they reveal their intricate, clever shapes. Notice the heavy frost on the ground:  Bonnie was entranced with it, and did the same as she does when in snow, by rolling over and over in it!

We made our way down to the lake, always an uplifting sight.

A little farther on.

Turned away from the lake to cross into a wooded part.  You can see me on the right, with my camera! - and my very very tall, OH!

Looking back to the lake. We could hear the ducks and geese calling.

There were some sailboats, but not visible here. The water was very still and cold.

• We trudged up a track, meeting others with dogs, some of whom Bonnie had fun with, playing "chase" (she slept well, later!)

Suddenly, we noticed something up ahead, and called Bonnie back to us:  two magnificent stags!!

With Bonnie on the lead, we walked nearer, but not too near so as not to disturb them. I put my camera on "zoom."

They did not seem to mind us at all.  By then, other people had appeared and were gazing at them.

I wished I knew how old they were, but they were certainly used to seeing people..

Others were approaching them from the other side, and I hoped they would not be disturbed as they looked so peaceful.

One last shot of His Magnificence, before we left them for others to admire.  A lovely mornings walk for us.