Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 December 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

We begin the year with a Full Moon on the night between Monday and Tuesday. This Full Moon is also a so-called Supermoon, because it will occur just hours after the moon reaches perigee (its closest point to Earth in its monthly orbit). 

I cherish you all, and I wish you a joyful, peaceful, healthy, and fulfilling 2018! Thank you for being my friends. 

• Another List --

Things I Learned in 2017

1.  If you drop one of your tiny pink blood pressure pills into the basin, it then bounces around as if it's in a cartoon, and your shrieks of panic can be heard two streets away before you catch it on the edge of the plughole.

2.  When you have guests, it's best not to say that "The dog behaves much better nowadays" just before she leaps onto a chair and buries her whole head into a bowl of nibbles.

3. If you ask your Other Half to clean off the bird poo on the kitchen window, and he says ""Eerm" it might mean he's heard what you say, or it might not.  Or else he isn't going to do it until you say it every day for three days, because he forgot it.

4.  If you buy new pudding plates for Christmas dinner, you will spend time looking for them for an entire week before the big day, but then only find them when you start packing up at the end of the festivities...

• LOL, Lindy!

It seems you have been busy today (as usual).

Well done for giving away the wedding finery. It is difficult to part with the outfit from such a special occasion. I have been rummaging through the wardrobe for some  suitable clothes for our forthcoming cruise. I need some things for warmer weather. I have a 'posh frock' somewhere for the 'Black and White' evening. Any clues for 'Neptunes Ball'? Did you have one of those on your cruise?

I hope Diane is managing to keep warm. I was quite disappointed when I did not hear the bombogenesis  word on the BBC TV news.

I also hope AQ is managing to keep cool. I cannot imagine tomatoes baking on the vine. We have trouble just getting them ripe!

• I just read back. I see Annette and Lynette are keeping active with various things.

Hello to Clare, OG, Heather, and everyone else not mentioned.

• Didn't have a "Neptunes Ball" Rosy, although I believe they sometimes have an 80s Night - which I was glad we didn't have either!

The outfit I had for their wedding was a floaty patterned skirt with frilled blouse, covered by a plain, tailored jacket, all pale jade green. I imagined at the time, 11 years ago, that I might wear the skirt & blouse for some event, but they never seemed appropriate. I've still got the jade coloured shoes!! When our Eldest got married only 2 years ago, I deliberately bought a long frock I could use later, without the jacket, and I wore that on a cruise.

Have decorated the fairy cakes and filled our hallway with cakes, presents and etc ready for tomorrow. Off to bed now.

• AQ: Tomatoes roasting on the vine?  Ooo-er....

OG: How nice to see coverage of the locals!

Lindybird: Have fun tomorrow; hope it's a good drive.

Diane: Just check Indiana weather and it's -4F  :-(

Busy but good couple of weeks here; hope to get into those boxes in the attic this weekend.  Have been watching the National Figure Skating Championships prior to the Olympics.

Take care all....

• Lindy: Have a lovely time with your family! I hope you have a good journey. 

• Thank you, Diane.  We're looking forward to it. Hope you're sitting by your fire and keeping indoors, we've seen grim pictures of the snow & etc. in the States.

Good Morning, Everyone. Dry here and cold, but not too bad.

Rosy, on thinking about the themed nights on your cruise, I shouldn't worry too much: although these nights are suggested, there is no enforcement of dress or outfit, you're supposed to be relaxing and enjoying yourself, after all - some people don't join in, although it's fun to do so.

Annette - I missed that, I like watching the figure skating.

• Here's today's pic:

Labelled "Little Brown Horses" - they look as if they're waiting for something.

• Good morning, all.  Limpy and I are off to The Lodge today in the hope of seeing a hawfinch and some ravens.

I hope you all have an enjoyable day as well!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good morning, all. 

Gardenbirder: I enjoyed your description of the Swallows' behaviors very much. In a nature preserve near me, there's a canyon wall that looks like an intricate honeycomb. In the spring and summer, the wall is full of nesting Swallows. Nice to see you on this thread.

Annette: My Mom and I used to watch the figure skating together, so I have happy memories of it although I don't watch it anymore. Glad you're getting organized for the New Year. Don't forget to take walks along the ocean!

Rosy: I'd never heard of a Neptune's Ball (I've never been on a cruise). Out of curiosity, I looked it up and found that it's a ceremony of the ship crossing the equator. I think the tradition is for "fancy dress," but I'm not sure what that means on a UK cruise. :-) I'm the last person on earth who should give fashion advice. My current wardrobe consists of fleece trousers/jackets and snow boots. LOL

Lindy: Loved your "Things I Learned" List!

Heather: I think your Resolutions List is very wise. I hope you go from strength to strength this year. Harelady, too. 

AQ: I hope your back is healing. That hot weather can't be comfortable. That's terrible about the tomatoes!!! How I would love to have a homegrown tomato! Ours are imported this time of year and are ghastly. I'll try to send you some more cold. 

OG: I meant to get back here yesterday and wish you a Happy Bird Day! 

The tracks indicate that there are now 3 rabbits under my car, but I haven't even seen any birds or any wildlife at all for the last few days. They're all taking shelter from the cold and burning as little energy as possible. My woods has been eerily quiet. I'm desperately hoping that the red-tailed hawks are surviving okay. This sustained arctic cold will be so hard on the wildlife. 

Thanks to everyone for your concern about me. No need to send handwarmers or long johns. I would love to have an opportunity to cuddle Bonnie. She is such a sweet looking doggy. 

Tonight as I type this, the actual temperature is -15F or -26.1C. The "feels like" temp is -24F or -31.1C. I still have a couple of hours before dawn so it will get colder. But I'm happy because temps are due to return to normal on Sunday. Yay! One more day...