Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 December 2017

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

We begin the year with a Full Moon on the night between Monday and Tuesday. This Full Moon is also a so-called Supermoon, because it will occur just hours after the moon reaches perigee (its closest point to Earth in its monthly orbit). 

I cherish you all, and I wish you a joyful, peaceful, healthy, and fulfilling 2018! Thank you for being my friends. 

• Lindybird said:

It's at the Highland Wildlife Park at Kingraig,Lindy. They have very large enclosures there so the bears have a more natural habitat especially when it snows.

Thanks, Jenny. I saw it on TV but they wern't very specific. I'm not sure that I approve of their being in captivity, though...

[/quote]I suspect they're running a captive breeding programme.  Polar bears are listed as being vulnerable due to the melting of the ice caps.

Their female, Victoria, is only a few months older than EJ!  I wonder when polar bears are too old to breed?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Love the Tree Warblers!!!

• Lindybird said:

Here's today's pic:

Think it said these were called Tree Warblers....

Lindybird, I would have thought that one of your American friends would have known what these birds are but it seems not. I found the original (copyrighted) photo which was taken by Raphael Kopan in Ohio. Here's the LINK to the photo. It was selected for the Flickr Explore accolade. Some naughty person has erased the copyright info from the photo you found. It often happens.

Forgive me for interfering on this thread which I often read but do not post as I mainly stick to the main Community Forum

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• bjane said:
    Love the Tree Warblers!!!

Nope, no such species. See above.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Ah, they are actually tree swallows.  Thanks, TeeJay!  I'm always happy to see you on the ospreyholic pages.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Lindybird: Lovely shot....

TeeJay: Re Lindybird's Tree Warbler photo, thanks for tracking down the photographer's name. As a former editor, I know how photographers feel when their images show up without credit/copyright info, but how should we proceed when the credit has been cropped/removed. Any clues?

Diane: In sorting out closets the last few days, found some handwarmers I bought as a gag gift for OH some years back at REI (camping/outdoor outfitting store).  Can pop in mail to you?  :-)  Seriously, I can't imagine being that cold for that long... I envision you huddled around your space heater with shawls and fleece-lined boots.  :-(

Rain here today!!  Yippee!

• Thanks, TeeJay!  -- I had no idea, I just copied it from another forum where, as you say, the copyright must have been removed. 

Nice to "see" you on here, and no need to apologise if you pop in to see us!

• Diane, as Annette says, we are worried about your keeping warm in those temps. I'm sending you Bonnie in a package, as she is always warm and cuddly!! Failing that, I've got some long john underwear which is toasty warm but I never wear it......

• Diane - We have plenty of degrees C to spare here. Expecting a mere 37 C today and 41c tomorrow. Need more? Port Augusta up north is expecting a scorching 46. I must go to cover my poor frizzled tomato bushes, fruit baked before it ripens.

• Good grief! - we really have the two extremes here today!

(For the record, it was 9 degrees here in N W England today, according to my car thermometer. Tomorrow night is predicted to be zero degrees.)