Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 December 2017

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY DECEMBER SOLSTICE

Please check back to last week's thread for information from Annette on the fire threat!!! She posted photos that you will want to see!!!

The December Solstice is Thursday at 4:28 p.m. in the U.K, 11:28 a.m. in the eastern U.S., 8:28 a.m. in California, and Friday, 22 December, at 2:57 a.m. in Adelaide, Australia! 

Everyone have a great week, and STAY SAFE, ANNETTE!

Juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Photo labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Hello, Harelady. You're right, it took me twice as long as usual to get parked and sorted out this morning. Crowds everywhere! And when I finally turned Ruby towards home, I met about 200 (well, it might have been only 100!) cars coming the other way down the main road near us, which has stupid speed bumps and makes you do a chicane - there had been some sort of final shindig at the nearby school, and they had all come to pick the children up. Nightmare!

Bought a huge ham which we can tuck into, but at least what's left over will feed us later on. They were all coughing and sneezing in the hairdressers, there certainly are lots of bugs around.

• All I can say is this morning I was in the Co-op and saw a lady with her trolley and on top of her shopping she had four trays of 24x500 ml cartons of cream. She did not look like a caterer with her children with her! All I wanted was lunchtime sandwiches for two days for us - shelves empty.

• FB   That is an awful lot of cream!!!! Sorry you didn't get your sarnies.

• She was probably the one who offered to make the trifle for the Christmas party!  I keep seeing trolleys full of bottles - goodness knows who drinks it all --  I had three bottles, one red, one white wine and one sparkling water! 

My heart sank when I saw a man offering to help people pack: I prefer to do my own. He said "Well, I'll watch how you do it!" - cheeky! I had already dropped money into the charity box.

Hair done, nails done, must go and get changed now as we're off to the Golf Club Dinner. Not a very posh "do" as it's all us oldies who belong to the senior section, but we do put our black tie outfits on.

• Thanks Dibnlib we will bear that in mind as we want to get there soon!

• Lindybird: Hair brushed (sort of); nails filed; must go and get changed as I'm off out to start Big Ash Cleanup.  Not at all posh; this oldie is donning an N95 mask, long-sleeved shirt and protective gloves!  Would much rather be swilling back wine at your event!  :-))

Fire behaved last night and all evacuations were lifted this morning, so people who've been living in motels/evac centers will all be home for Xmas (well, those whose houses didn't burn). However, we have a friend in Toro Canyon who was evacuated and went back home to find her still-standing house coated from top to bottom, inside and out, with black soot and ash.  :-((   More than 2K firefighters sent home yesterday, so do hope most of these remaining wonderful people will be home soon too.  My friend who volunteers at the SB Botanic Garden (which was devastated by a fire 9 years ago), sent a cute photo of a firefighter in the rare natives enclosure gently hosing down the plants.

Have read all posts; loved the idea of all that cream!  Will catch up later.

• I went shopping this morning as well.  In Aldi the chap in front of me spent £115 - I spent £8.50.  Good job I wasn't looking for a turkey - narry a one in the shop!  I had to go in hunt of a small unsliced loaf - a very rare beast indeed these days.  The third shop produced almost what I needed.  I will not be doing any more shopping until next year!

Annette - glad to hear the dangers from fire have passed, but the clean-up sounds horrendous.  And those poor people who have lost their homes ... Sounds as though the firefighters have been real stars - especially the one who cared enough to water the 'rare natives'.  It's amazing how these little snippets always seem to happen in spite of the chaos and devastation all around.

• Looking forward to the final of "Masterchef" tonight..

• Last Physio visit yesterday. She has strong thumbs! Owie, my back was tender last night. I shall take it quietly today, maybe the tree not yet. Meanwhile I watch neighbours’ activities. Next-Doors have had their food shop delivered (online shopping) and the dog wash van called. Across-the-Roads have been fussing over their boat for days. It is now hooked up ready to depart.

• AQ: I have been threatened with more Physio for my neck come shoulders (a story for another time). I sympathise.