WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, JULY 3, 2016

Welcome to a new week.  Hope ALL the familiar faces will show up this week!  :-)

Go back to page 8 of the previous thread to see Mike's link to the question: How do you free a Golden Eagle caught up in a very high tree without the use of a ladder?   Page 9 shows Bowie posing for his closeup.  OG and EE are busy shooting at cats and cheering on Housemartins in the midst of home repairs (the birds that is). 

Brenda: Well, there always seems to be one lavender bush that I missed!  I have to tidy them up and take off all the dead blooms once during the summer, then in the winter, I whack 'em all back by a third. Trouble is, they're all getting old and woody.  

OH and I bought tickets to a concert tonight - Jean-Yves Thibaudet is playing Rhapsody in Blue and since the Music Academy is hosting the show, the tickets were super cheap. But now we're looking at each other and thinking we'd rather stay home in our comfy togs and relax. But no. Must hose off and rise to the occasion.

Was amazed that Djokovich got knocked out at Wimbledon so early. Shocker!

Have a good Sunday everyone.

• ANNETTE   What a shame about ducklings being taken from their Mums before they have been truely abandoned. Hope you end up doing something you are really excited about,

OH saw a pic in a local paper the other day. It was of a poor duckling being carried away by a heron. Later on I was reading "The Daily Mail" and saw the same pic, though this time it showed the heron being chased by Mum and Dad, sadly without success. I read the article through and realised the pic was taken by someone we know. For those who go to Simpsons nursery, he used to be the manager there. Andy said that it was hard to watch this sort of thing happening but of course the heron probably had a family to feed.

• OG   Sorry you haven't been so good. Hope you feel better soon.

MARGO  nice to hear from you.

• What weather this evening. We debated going to the Scottish Open, and boy, am I glad we decided not to. It is now fairly pelting down.

• This men's double match is still on and it's 6:15 there. Will they still have the women's doubles after this?

• Oh yes, there's still about two and a half hours of playable light.  So glad Heather Watson got through the mixed doubles final tomorrow.  Two Brits on Centre Court on the final day ... doesn't happen often!

• Pat O: Was just reading the FAQs on one site and apparently play can go on on Centre Court until 11 p.m.!!!!  Eeek. The guys have just finished!  Missed quite a bit of that match, but caught the last bit. :-)

My, the Duke of Kent has aged (not that I've been keeping track)....

• ANNETTE -he is eighty. My old boy is a few years older and looks better IMHO !!

• Horrible weather, DIBNLIB. Been raining for a couple of hours and I don't think that it will stop soon...

dibnlib said:

What weather this evening. We debated going to the Scottish Open, and boy, am I glad we decided not to. It is now fairly pelting down.

• I always have trouble with an “r” followed by an “n” looking like an “m”, and I think that is what has happened in reverse!  I didn’t have a funny turn, but a funny tum (belly/guts)!  It still isn’t quite right, but I think it was caused by some celery chutney, which I have thrown away.  I did sleep better last night.

Today has been horribly wet, but we have cleaned the small freezer indoors (half the fridge-freezer) and the big chest freezer in the garage, so we are now ready to freeze garden goodies, beyond the six month’s supply of rhubarb already in there.  I also did some ironing.

Amazed by all the Osprey chicks fledging – doesn’t seem long since we were waiting for the parent birds to arrive home!  Our House Martins are still in residence, and Robin has been feeding just one young one on our deck (never seen a baby Robin here before).

Had a quick read through the recent days of chat; can’t comment on them all!

Heather – never done sauté potatoes with garlic – making my mouth water, so will have to try them some time.  Never have any leftover, so would have to cook extra intentionally.  Sorry you won’t get to Duxford – used to go there when parents-in-law were alive (visited them in Cambridge).  But East Fortune is much nearer, and also very good.  (As a museum, I mean, I  don’t do air shows).

Linda – I hope Bonnie is recovering well from her cough.  I liked the photo of her on the cliff – I assume that means she is now better at coming when called, if you let her get that near the edge – so pleased.  Have a lovely day with family tomorrow – I guess that must be the postponed visit to elder Son and Amber.

Margo – good to see your post.  Sorry about the bruising from low platelets – a pity you have to wait for regular checks and can’t just request them topped up when you see the symptoms!

Must stop at that – I think we are getting out the Trivial Pursuit for a wet evening indoors!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• A great match!  And tomorrow the Mens' Finals.

OG: Glad it was "tum" and not "turn."

Diane: I will start the thread tonight if you haven't done so by the time I log on - no need to respond.