Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 24 April 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is here.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

I'll be back soon to catch up with everyone.

• Heather -  It's quite understandable that you're concerned about your brothers affairs, but quite rightly, you should be standing back from that as there is nothing you can do about it. Nice that you're enjoying his company, and that he is happy to take the trouble to travel so far to see you. Hope your son in law can find another job quickly - a lot of factors there, including where they live plus how much in demand his kind of work is.

Enjoy your family gatherings.

Annette - I can sense your pain at waving your sister off again. That's hard. The only thing which makes these things a little easier is that modern communications make the distance a little smaller, although I know that's not the same at all as seeing someone :-(

Sunshine here, on & off, and our intention to visit Glaslyn was put off by both of us falling asleep after lunch, LOL!!

• Heather: Hope the wine is close at hand. We'll look forward to seeing more of you when you have more time.

Lindybird: Indeed - was lolling in bed yesterday morning and cell phone rang with FaceTime call from niece's iPhone! And there they all were! Brilliant. Sister and BiL don't have and iPhone; must work on that.  We do Skype but it's oddly static and, besides, our respective OH's are lurking in the background!  :-)

• We Skype the family, but not on a regular basis. The grandchildren all run in & out of shot, too excited to take part properly, but it's nice to 'see' our sons when we've been long apart. I can Skype on this tablet, by the way, and it cost a heck of a lot less than an iPhone!.....

Just come back from a seaside walk, followed by nice meal of chish & fips at a local hostelry. It's a sunny evening, but still a cold wind. We can see lots of snow on the tops of the biggest Snowdonia peaks. In the fields there are some of the famous Black Welsh cattle, and some sheep with teenage lambs, a lot bigger than the cute little ones we saw on our last visit.

• Good Morning.  Bright & dry here, after a night of at least two heavy hail showers.

Hoping to get out and about today, in the better weather. 

• Good morning, all.  You have absolutely got to read this thread - there are some lovely encounters on here but the must-read story is about George the stork.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good Morning Everyone. A dry sunny morning.

We often have Face Time calls with our son and his wife. We use our MacBooks and can also include our daughter by using our iPhones pointed at the computer picture. A wonderful way to keep in touch and all free of charge.

Our son and his wife are in Australia for an Ironman triathlon on Sunday and then they will have a weeks holiday. He will be over here to see us at the end of May. His wife will join him when she has finished her meetings in Geneva.

Daughter spent yesterday being interviewed for a permanent post at her hospital, doing the job that she wanted. Very happy to say that she got the job, so she was on cloud nine last night.

Received a very unhappy phone call last night from an old friend to tell us that her husband had died. We did know that it was expected, but not so suddenly. We will miss him.

Heather, Enjoy the time with your brother and your family meals. Pleased that you feel you are not involved with your brother's finances.

• Just heard my first cuckoo of the year, but it was on the Dyfi LS.  LOL

• Lindybird: Hope the weather stayed nice for you.

Clare: That story about George the Stork is as good as anything I've seen or read. What a wonderful tale. Thanks for the link!  How's the new job going?

Brenda: So happy your daughter landed the job she wanted. What a relief when our kids are settled, eh?  A shame about your friend, even when it's expected...

Off to get sorted....

• Sorry I have been so useless this week – we lost Wednesday, which turned the whole week on its head!  We all 3 really enjoyed Fiddler last Tuesday evening; it was an amateur production, but the man playing Tevye has 50 years am-dram experience – yet a wonderful strong voice.  The contrast between bathos and comedy (plus everything between) came over really well, and the whole cast were excellent, and good to see so many young ones involved.  Next day, I decided I must take my sore eye to the doc (whilst knowing full well what the diagnosis would be), so I ended up in the hospital’s eye clinic, receiving two kinds of drops for iritis (other eye this time!).  The steroid drops are every 2 hours (!) which is really time-consuming, but they are already making a difference.  We had planned lunch and shopping at one of the garden centres that day, so actually went Thursday, for extra seeds, a couple of herb plants, a planter and a tray, special cheese from the food hall and sticky things from the craft shop – so a worthwhile trip, even with having to have eye drops in the car!  Friday I did a number of greenhouse jobs, but it was too cold outside, so OH was busy indoors; today we have planted some plants, and he is now catching up with other indoor jobs from during the week.  I have also been harvesting various herb leaves from the greenhouse for freezing, and we have been able to start pulling the first radishes from the cold frame – with salad leaves now also available.

I won’t manage a full catch-up now.  But I hope that Lynette’s OH is continuing his recovery, that Annette is not missing her Sister too badly (pleased you had such a good time with her), that Diane is coping with the two teenagers, that Heather is enjoying her Brother’s visit, and that Linda is having a good time in Wales.  It was lovely to read Margo’s long post this week, and see her news about her OH leaving work; this will make his life much easier, with all the other things he has been trying to fit in, and I am sure company at home will help Margo to cope with her feelings; I hope transfusion day went well, and that you can soon go out for a meal on a day when you feel up to it.  So pleased Brenda’s Daughter got the permanent post at work – well done to her, and now she can concentrate on the wedding plans!

I shall probably be quite unreliable with posts this coming week, as we are heading for a short trip, Thursday through Saturday.  We are only going as far as Falkirk, but want to spend time seeing the Kelpies and other attractions there instead of dashing past on the M9 on our way further north.

Enjoy the rest of the extended weekend, everyone.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Unknown said:
    That story about George the Stork is as good as anything I've seen or read. What a wonderful tale. Thanks for the link!  How's the new job going?

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  The new job is going well.....so far.  Fingers crossed this continues!  Brenda, I'm pleased for your daughter as well - I hope the new job works out well for her.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.