The LG OSPREY GABFEST for JANUARY and FEBRUARY 2016

LOOKING FORWARD TO 2016 BRINGING US A FULL NEST AT LOCH GARTEN WITH EJ AND ODIN AT THE HELM.

• I was interested by the comments of Keith, and June's query about the Snow Moon, and I found this.  It makes a lot of sense of course, like a lot of folklore, but I thought the additional info was fascinating too.

And a little bit more from the UK newspaper, the Independent.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• JUNE - No Joke - SO??? - I think Sheila has researched and given you the info but you also can research The Snow Moon. Before you posted my wife said to me look at the Snow Moon tonight.

Yes it was Karen who told the stories of the Months Moons and remember her Harvest Moon well.

The most famous moon - Easter as you all well know occurs the first Sunday after the first full moon of the spring equinox which this year occurs 3 days after the spring equinox thus an early Easter on Sunday 27 March. British Summer Time also occurs the same day this year giving us an extra hour of evening daylight and heralds back the ospreys with late evening fishing.

• Keith, And it is my birthday as well.

Kind regards, Ann

• Good evening all. Interesting information about the snow moon Shiela and Kieth. Glad you were able to get out to see the Snow moon June even though it was cold.

Gardenbirder is your birthday 27 March? My two brothers are teachers and have just had half term and now not long before they are off again for Easter! Lucky teachers :) I think they have alot of work to do at home though.

• As reported on other threads it appears that Blue XD has died. We all know he was the intruder that landed on Loch Garten Nest and mated with EJ and suspicion that one of the offspring may have been the result of this mating.

He went back to Green J but the last two years the nest has been unsuccessful.

Green J was evicted from the nest last year then the transmitter stopped working but apparently has been sighted at her wintering grounds in Spain. Blue XD found a new mate but was too late for any eggs.

Now who will return to Carrbridge in March/April - Two females maybe Green j trying to regain her nest or the new mistress.

Well if EJ returns then we know Blue XD will not be disturbing her.

News also that Beatrice has started her journey north - rather early on 23 February. We are up and running for 2016.

• WOW!!! 1916 season underway!!  Good luck, Beatrice.

• Good evening all. Just read the news that dear Blue XD has died :( OH i feel so sad and a great loss. On a brighter note great to see that Beatrice has started her Northward migration :) Get home safely!

• Keith you may be interested! The Flying Scotsman returned to York museum via the East Coast Main Line atr 07.40 this morning from Kingd Cross. Would love to have had a ticket but suspect they were for the great and good! The journey was delayed by tresspassers so called "enthusiasts" Some people will do anything for the photo lol!

So nice to see these old engines restored and have done a brilliant job :)

• 58Willow - I was just discussing this with my wife and looking at the old engines (Not my Wife) itinerary for 2016.

Hope she visits Scotland as part of her itinerary and somewhere can get a ticket.

The tickets for the full six weeks running of The Union of South Africa (A4 Class) through Tweed Valley in September last year sold out Day 1 but we were lucky to get two tickets from Edinburgh to Tweedbank and return They provided rail Dunblane to Edinburgh for free on Scotrail.

Union of South Africa on her Tweed valley Runs.

Love to add The Flying Scotsman to this.

• Keith, Thanks for the summary of Blue XD and Green J.  Very sad news about Blue XD.  He will be much missed, especially since he contributed so much to the drama of the Loch Garten story as well as raising chicks with Green J in earlier years.  It would be interesting to know if any of EJ's chicks were actually his.  I suggested on the Blue XD thread that perhaps his demise will take the pressure off Odin and EJ by allowing the males who tried to oust Odin the chance to fight over Blue XD's nest instead (fingers crossed!), should we be so lucky as to have both EJ and Odin return safely.

Willow, Yes, 27 March is the fateful date.  Apparently a phone call announcing the intention of my grandparents to visit for the Easter weekend (Easter was the 28th that year) upset my Mum so much that I arrived 2 weeks early and ruined the weekend for everyone.

Kind regards, Ann