Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 September 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

If you missed the end of last week's Chat thread, click on the link above and go back to see OG's spectacular photos of the Sparrowhawk that visited her garden! The pics are really good. See pages 8-9! 

Also, Brenda posted a lovely kestrel on page 7.  

Autumn is right around the corner, but it's still very hot on my patch; 95 F (35 C) tomorrow. I'll try to send some heat to Brenda, who had to put the central heating on in her home yesterday. :-)

Happy Labor Day on Monday to Annette, June Spradlin, and anyone else in the U.S. Labor Day was very important in my family, and I always miss my Dad on that holiday.

Everyone have a good week.

• A smile for today:

~~   I may have posted this before, I can't remember, LOL!!

• Good morning all

I second (or third) the congratulations to our Queen.

Last night went better than I thought it would. I will give you more details later, I want to think things over and not rush in with my first impressions. Having said that, they say that first impressions are often important.

I know what you mean LINDY. I went from the kitchen to the utility room this morning, muttering aloud 'I need three more'. I have no idea what it was that I needed.

• Pleased that things went better than you thought they would, Heather..

• Latest from the Gloucestershire Badger Office

"Incredibly busy night last night.

Shooters trying to hide reg numbers from sabs and WBP.

Attempts at intimidating sabs. Shooters turned away from multiple locations across the zone. Setts and surrounding areas searched zone wide day and night."

Special thanks go to the following groups who are all heroes:

Manchester Hunt Sabs

Liverpool Hunt Sabs

North Wales Hunt Sabs

Kernow Hunt Sabs

Nottingham Hunt Sabs

Three Counties Hunt Sabs

Sheffield Sabs

Herts against the badger cull

AJ's badger army

Camp badger  in Somerset and in Dorset

All the wounded badger patrollers.

All the sett sitters

All the people who have donated towards fuel and equipment especially night vision cameras and surveillance monitors.

Last of all the pixies who have worked tirelessly

• Last night's meeting with S's nephew and his wife went very well. I think that they got quite a shock to see Sheana's deterioration, and have only been able to spend an hour or so with her each day of their visit because she gets so tired.

We were all quite relaxed and open with each other which bodes well for future contacts. I so regret that we fell out all that time ago, but on reflection it is easy to see why. I found it hard to 'let go' after looking after S for so long, in one way and another. Also the Home didn't quite live up to how I imagined it would be which caused me a lot of anxiety. I expected the nephew to have the same level of emotional involvement as me but he didn't. How could he, when he didn't really know her?

They have left it rather a long time between visits but I feel that I know them better now and can see how that happened and perhaps why.

• That all makes sense to me, Heather.   {BIG HUGS} for you, I know its corny but I do feel for you, its been a hard journey you've been on.  You have cared about and taken care of Sheana for many years, and are as emotionally involved as a relative might be, so it must be hard to let the nephew and wife start making decisions.  I hope that this has cleared things a little for all of you, and you can now combine in helping Sheana through her last years of life.

• Heather, As long as you can accept and understand Sheana's nephew's point of view, then I am pleased that you have come to terms with the circumstances. It has been, and is, a very difficult and emotional time for you and I hope the nephew recognises that. You really have got a heart of gold. Your conscience is clear. X

• BRENDA - Really, you are making me blush xx

• Morning all:  Five painters; three with power sanders equals lots of noise and dust.

Lynette: Have heard of trigger fingers but not trigger thumbs.  Have heard of someone being "trigger happy" and "all thumbs,"  but would not want to meet a trigger-happy gunslinger  who is all thumbs.  Oh dear. Maybe I should just go back to bed...   Seriously, hope your thumb gets sorted soon and good your knee is doing better, but do watch out for that...

Lindybird: Hiding out in room with a/c as I type. Was well into the 80s yesterday. Ugh.  Re those harvesters, I wonder if it's GPS-controlled. These things are hired out and go from farm to farm, right? Can't imagine individual farmers could afford to buy them.  I would hate to be told I couldn't eat fruit!

Heather: Your OH obviously needs a periscope to check on next-door's doings.  Didn't realize Sam suffered from a degree of autism - what a strange condition that is.  There's probably a genius lurking inside somewhere. Brenda's comment made me wonder about the difference in edcuation opportunities for such kiddies in UK vs. Belgium (?).  Diane: is correct about the wifi ("blue tooth" - wonder how it got that name!) aspect of the insulin pump.  Good that dinner with S's family seemed to go well. I hope they told you how much they appreciate all your efforts.

Diane: Re Space Whisky: Traces of rubber?  Hmmm.  Don't know about "groundbreaking." "Stomach turning" sounds more like it.

Brenda: Very encouraging to read that your great nephew (??) is doing so well. Again, a very mysterious condition, autism....   Not so hectic schedule this week - daughter had bunion surgery yesterday so that involved a lot of waiting around and getting her settled with various supplies (a friend spent the night with her).  Today I'm at home with the painters while OH takes off for the morning.

Alan: Glad I'm not in the middle of that fight.

Special thoughts to George and Margo.

OK, what a discombobulating morning. Painter boss has just shown up and says they're nearly finished prepping and will start painting later today or tomorrow.  I'm looking at Cecile Brunner and thinking how much fun it's going to be to wrestle her back into place.

Yes, congrats to the Queen indeed  - the longest reigning.  What a life: Duty, duty, and more duty - writ large on the world stage.  So glad the tabloids aren't fixated on my every move.