Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 September 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

If you missed the end of last week's Chat thread, click on the link above and go back to see OG's spectacular photos of the Sparrowhawk that visited her garden! The pics are really good. See pages 8-9! 

Also, Brenda posted a lovely kestrel on page 7.  

Autumn is right around the corner, but it's still very hot on my patch; 95 F (35 C) tomorrow. I'll try to send some heat to Brenda, who had to put the central heating on in her home yesterday. :-)

Happy Labor Day on Monday to Annette, June Spradlin, and anyone else in the U.S. Labor Day was very important in my family, and I always miss my Dad on that holiday.

Everyone have a good week.

• Friend just rang to arrange for a "playdate" for our two dogs on Thursday: she has been told off about her test results re her diabetic problem, and will have to give up eating our plums *sob*  - she also intends to give up bread to see how it affects her. (edit:  it is such a nuisance that you eat fruit for a so called "healthy diet" and then are told that you're getting too much sugar)  She saw the doc last week about her intended knee operation in November, so that is all going ahead.

Hope we hear from George today about his scan results yesterday:  hope all is well, George.

Thinking of you, Margo.

• Hello all

Yes, thinking about MARGO and GEORGE and also anyone else who is reading this and feeling below par.

LYNETTE - I hope that the swimming will be enjoyable and that your trigger thumb improves. We don't realise how much we use our thumbs until one goes wonky :-(

LINDY - Your OH has, at least, something enjoyable to look at  - a field of wheat is a lovely sight to a country man like my OH. He has had to content himself with wondering what on earth next door neighbours are doing in their back garden. They seem to have moved the hot tub and there is a lot of noisy digging going on. ( Expect to see them soon, AQ!). He has to look out of the upstairs bathroom window and turn his neck at a very odd angle in order to spy on them! I keep saying to him that 'curiosity killed the cat'.

Yes, let us hope that the weather will at least be dry for the wedding. I agree about the endless time that wedding pics can sometimes take.

Regarding sugars - my understanding is that all carbs/starchy foods become glucose when being metabolized and that too much glucose is bad for several reasons. From whatever source it comes, including fruit. If I am wrong, I apologise in advance. It is 50 plus years since I was a student nurse studying physiology. I'm going to have to up my game, though, as I'm about to be trained in modern (insulin pump) management of Type 1 diabetes. I am now the first port of call if granddaughter Amy becomes unwell, as her Mum really can't take too much time off from work. She loses a day's pay every time she has to stay at home or be in hospital with Amy. My eldest daughter used to be 'it' when she was a child minder but she now works full time in a nursery .

Shropshire family are home safely, from Florida. All very tired. My son painted a very poignant picture of Sam, my 9 year old grandson. On the last night, they went to Naples beach to watch the sunset. Sam knelt down and Mike says that he was just staring and staring in wonderment. He must have seen many sunsets before but this was very special. I think that a photo is on the way to me. My darling Sam is somewhere on the autistic spectrum as I think I have said here, before. He just has a thirst for knowledge and once something has gained his interest he becomes eager to know everything about that subject.

We are being taken out for dinner tonight by Sheana's nephew and his wife. He phoned this morning, said that Sheana was quite confused when they saw her yesterday. It must have been quite a shock for him to see the change in her.

• PS I hope that my old fashioned brain will cope with all this insulin pump stuff. It seems that when she checks her blood glucose level, finger prick on a little machine, it gets 'blue toothed' (?) to the pump and the pump then tells you what to do. If anything is of great concern ie you can't correct the problem effectively you then 'upload' the results to the diabetes team who interpret it and then phone you and tell you what to do (in daylight hours, that is. During the night you have to phone the doc at home, think I've said that, before). Crumbs. I can't even work my PC properly. Big learning curve ahead. The above info is just what middle daughter told me, earlier this morning. Education is everything, I hope they give me a book of instructions, the old memory isn't what it was!

• Hi Everyone. Another cool but sunny / cloudy day.

Annette, I wish you could send some of your sunny weather  to us. Not as hot, though.  

Linda, It is so hard to believe that Tomasz will be five in December and is now starting school. He looks so smart in his uniform. I hope he enjoys school. The combined harvester has been very busy around here and they do seem to be getting bigger every year. I was stuck behind one in the High St. a few weeks ago, as there was not enough room for the driver to get past the parked cars.

Lynette, Sorry about your trigger thumb. I know of a few people, who had trigger finger and have all had successful operations to cure the problem. I hope the steroid injection works for you.

Heather, I did laugh at your poor OH being terrified to drop a crumb.

My nephew has an autistic son and I do know exactly what you mean. I can imagine him sitting, watching the sunset. You paint a lovely picture.

My nephew was moved to the Netherlands and his son has really thrived in their education system. He is fluent in Dutch and is a genius with computers. He is now about to take his final exams at college and yet he was considered to be ' beyond help' when he was younger. Poor fellow has three sisters, who never had much patience with him, but he is now so confident and independent. He plays the guitar and even accompanies a Dutch choir run by his parents. The choir took part in the Welsh Eisteddfod this year. I am sure Sam is not as autistic as my G. Nephew, but we are all so proud of him and his achievements, as you may gather :-))

I forget. Is this the first time that Sheana's nephew has taken you out for a meal ?

I do hope that George gets favourable scan results.

Margo, As you know, I am always thinking of you.

Playing in a bowls match this afternoon and still need to wash my hair and have lunch. I have been gardening. I have just taken my hanging baskets down, as they haven't been as good this year and are now looking very sorry for themselves. 

• Heather, I always find it best to write my own notes, from instructions. I know you will be fine. 

• I hope so, BRENDA! I never felt like this when I was working, I was confident with my knowledge and of course,real experts were never far away! I did occasionally recognise illnesses that were quite rare but that was only because of l o n g experience, not talent!

• BRENDA - Marvellous to read how what your G nephew has achieved. It gives me hope that Sam will do the same. He is such a clever boy. I just worry how he will be as a teenager. He gets so excited when he is telling us things that he has learned.

• Yes BRENDA, We don't really know each other and this is his first visit since early 2013.

• Couldn't get the page to load last night; off out now. Will catch up later today.