Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey Topics), 23 August 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

I missed a few days last week. I've read all your posts, but I won't try to reply except to wish everyone well.

---

Some large animal has been hunting on my deck before dawn (about 5:00 am). It lands on the deck with a big thud. It's either jumping down from the tree limb over the deck or jumping up from the top step. I can hear it chase fairly large prey (probably raccoons). If it's coming out of the tree, it could be a bobcat! I have deer staying in my backyard along the creek, and a pair of bobcats could have moved in to predate the fawns. I've read that bobcat numbers are increasing a lot in this region. I'm not afraid of them; they aren't a threat to me. I hope I get to see whatever it is!

---

I happened across the webpages of a couple of photographers whose work just makes me happy when I look through their galleries, so I thought I'd share their sites.

The first photographer is Michael Shainblum, who photographs gorgeous landscapes and seascapes (especially with the Milky Way in the background). Here's his website (click on "Photography") and his Facebook page.

The second is George Karbus, who lives and works on the west coast of Ireland (but also takes photos all over the world). He focuses on coastal and marine photography. Here's his website (click on "Gallery") and his Facebook page.

----

I hope you all have a wonderful week!

• Brenda - We were disappointed in the Countryfile article on Dyfi, too: the programme has gone from bad to worse in recent times and is nothing like as good now - we often just have it on in the background and cherry pick the interesting bits, such as the Weeks Weather! We had to move fast on our freezer, as our old one was getting weaker each day, but during the week we had been too busy to go & look at any. I had to settle for quick looks online at what was on offer in the big chains, plus searching our local ads for 2nd hand. Weve had a happy ending, anyway, as the model we bought is a super duper one compared to the new ones I was considering. Transferred our precious bags of home grown peas & beans last night, plus our meat supply and some soggy ice cream!
  • Terribly sad about the air crash. Hope there will be yet more tightening up on Air Shows in future, as we've had too many crashes lately, & I noticed that there was another one yesterday in Switzerland.
  • Good evening, all - what a quiet day it's been today.  I should mention there's a new blog from Rachel to confirm Odin's departure last Friday.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare: Thanks for the Odin update. Assume EJ still hanging out?

• I thought EJ had already left last week?

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• She left around the 12th.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I'm so sorry, Annette - I must have completely forgotten to mention it.

• I didn't think to mention on here, that there had been a Blog confirming EJ's departure. Odin hung around for quite a while, which I thought was interesting as I often wonder if he stays to make sure the youngsters are OK. (Which of course didn't apply, this year).
  • Hello all

I've been lurking and am up to date with all your news and chat.

There have been a few family concerns and still are, but hey ho, whose life is completely problem free?!!

Today's mini crises involved taking middle daughter to GP (chest infection, been put on antibiotics and steroids) and advising youngest daughter about the possible causes of her daughter's abdominal pain. I also went to see Sheana today but she was deeply asleep, so will return another day.

We have been busy in the garden, just one more pruning job to do, a pyrus that OH likes to cut into shape. Loads of sweeping, though, as we had very high winds yesterday.

Apart from that, no real news from here.

My son and family are on holiday in Florida and have been putting some lovely pictures on a 'secret' family FB page so that we can share a little of the fun they are having. It is very uplifting to look in each morning and see the latest episode of 'Arabella and Sam's big adventure'.

Take care all-