WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY JULY 19, 2015

Happy New Week all:

Rumbles of thunder all day, but it seems to be passing just east of us. Apparently our share arrives tomorrow evening.

I seem to have lost the Rich Text formatting option - and the text has gone weird.

OG: Apparently Aldi is going to open some stores in California. Your lunch at the Old Toll House sounds wonderful.

HEATHER: Here's a very long link to a film of passengers arriving g to board the Lusitania on its last voyage. Extremely clear images for the times. www.criticalpast.com/video/65675040085_SS-Lusitania_passengers-arrive-at-dock_passengers-aboard-SS-Lusitania_author-Elbert-Hubert

LINDYBIRD: My hammock, which as a large metal frame, is stored in the garage in favor of my zero-gravity folding chair, which is so much easier to put up and then away.

LYNETTE: Home delivered groceries sounds wonderful, except I buy from three separate stores and like to see/feel the veggies/fruit.

• I saw it LINDY Wonderful but very sad about the corncracks Wonder if anything is being done to help the species?

• Argh!  This pesky storm is going east, north, and west of us! Came out of the gym yesterday to very heavy dark blue/gray clouds and loud and impressive rumbles followed by large spots of rain. Yippee! But no. Three miles up the road to home, here comes sunshine and blue skies!  Woke up this morning to see dark/blue gray cloud bank heading west-northwest. Grrrr.

OG: Meant to say I agree that I wish all these interesting items in various museums were assembled together.  That piece of wood from the Lusitania's lifeboat (it had the vessel's name on it) washed ashore, unfortunately with the body of a victim who'd clung onto it) somewhere off the coast of Ireland near Queenstown some days after the sinking. Lord knows how it ended up in a museum near San Francisco.  Hope you get a day out.  

Heather: Egads! Your OH should get together with mine for crossword help, then maybe they'd leave us alone while we wash the kitchen floors. :-) They are products of their time...   Yes, did indeed bookmark the lightning web site was hoping to see some near us....sigh).

George: Sounds like you and your son enjoy your times together - so nice. I Googled Tapestry of Scotland - looks like a lovely exhibit well worth two trips and apparently Alexander McCall Smith was involved?

Margo: Yes - have lots of wonderful food and outings during your OH's vacation.

Spent yesterday morning trimming back some plants in the front, which is on a bit of a slope and tiring to work on for the legs. Flagged down a helpful neighbor kid (early 20s) who's going to come by after work Tuesday to position heavy mulch bags so I just have to spread the stuff around.

Off for another late start to the day.

• Darn it! They postponed that programme I was trying to point everyone at: it was delayed by a previous programme & so they showed an episode of 'Coast' instead. Yes, Patily, he did mention that he does not hear the calls of so many birds on his travels around the river nowadays- poor Corncrakes and others :-(
  • Annette - good that you're enlisting help with the heavy lifting. Will send you the contents of our water butt!
  • BTW - my OH came home from his golf (he came 4th out of 26...) and he said that Bonnie ate some rabbit remains this morning before he could stop her, so he's not surprised she was sick!

• I never did get around to describing her antics on our last holiday break - she managed to bring home a fish every day, sometimes even twice in one day - they were sometimes all dried up, which was OK, but sometimes also all wet & rotten! My OH had to chase after her and get them off her, but if they were rotten he then had to wash her with detergent & warm water.... Meanwhile, to put them out of her reach so he could deal with it later, he would put the fish on the roof of our car! Hope no one noticed! She also ate part of a dead lamb which had washed up on the shore, ugh. In the end, he took her on the beach on a long lead so that he could control her better, which was a shame as she loves to pelt along, ears flying.
  • I don't know what to say, LINDY!! Except that things can only get better LOL

Just as we all say to AQ......

• LINDA - I think I would have put her on a SHORT lead by now until she learns not to pick up carcasses and such - she could so easily find something which has been baited, and I would hate for her to suffer.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• I was trying to decide whether nanny duty or Bonnie's antics were worse . . . then I read Heather's comment!

OG - My church has heaters. It's the ice on the car (yes, a thin film yesterday) and weather in the carpark. Another freezie night, even now at 8 am it's only 4.4 C. .

Must wind myself up for another day nannying. At least tomorrow I am coffeeing with Friend (whom I haven't seen since our trip in May). And thinking of that - here's another episode - Victoria trip continued. Day 7. A visit to 2 waterfalls. Alas it had been dry and the falls were tiny. Morning tea and a wander in the garden of Wakefield Park, 2½ acres of lawns, mature English trees, roses & flowering shrubs. The autumn leaves were spectacular. A short stop in Cavendish where they have set out a plan of the town with pavers, some indicating historic or lost buildings. Back in Hamilton by lunchtime & a free afternoon. I wandered some more in lovely Hamilton and its botanic gardens. My pics here.