Daily Update~Loch Garten Nest~ Sunday, 17 May 2015

Welcome to another day in the 2015 season. Yesterday looked to be quite a peaceful day for EJ and Odin, and with Fenrir not seen for some time, and the fact the the blue ringed male hasn't made an appearance on the web cam, seems to indicate that the season while absent of the chicks, we always look forward to, should at least continue on a relatively peaceful mode for EJ The Phenomenal, and Odin The Magnificent.   

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Seems if Odin is on the small side as some say, and he's been battling so hard, then he's weaker these days. All we can do is hope, he seems to have to keep on suffering hardships ( remembering the fishing line). Funny how these birds catch at your very heart strings...

• Lmac great photos...

Poor Odin its been so cold up here..

Forward hide mid June...what awaits my buddy and me...

• Unknown said:

Does anyone wonder like me as to why Odin is not bringing in the goods? I dont think that this level would sustain a real brooding female or feed chicks. what to you think you experts out there?

Not an expert by any means, but when the female is incubating her need for food is very low. I think studies have shown that in this period it is fairly common for the male just to bring 1 fish a day to the nest. This apparently is all they need - unfortunately I doubt it will be sufficient for her to get into condition to lay a second clutch. In any event, her behaviour suggests that she hasn't given up on that egg. But without Odin sharing incubation, the chances of even a viable egg hatching are slim to none and we know that the chances of it being viable are almost non existant.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Sounds like that wind is really getting up again :(.

Keep hunkered down, EJ girl!

Doasyouwouldbedoneby

• Unknown said:

any one else been in the forward hide?

More times than I care to remember! I painted it with RT when it arrived. Pretty sure someone would have spruced it up since then.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Have to go now - sorry there hasn't been a fish delivery today, but there's still time.

Agree with Deveronside EJ and Odin must be totally at sixes and sevens at the moment. I know some of us indulge in less than serious remarks on this site, but it's all motivated by affection and great respect for these birds.  I, for one, was so relieved to see Odin back on the nest again (even if things have not returned to normal), after being convinced that we would never see this amazing bird again, that it didn't seem inappropriate to be facetious from time to time.

Here's hoping that they both remain safe, well and unharmed, on or near this nest until the end of the season.  

• CRinger said:

Does anyone wonder like me as to why Odin is not bringing in the goods? I dont think that this level would sustain a real brooding female or feed chicks. what to you think you experts out there?

Not an expert by any means, but when the female is incubating her need for food is very low. I think studies have shown that in this period it is fairly common for the male just to bring 1 fish a day to the nest. This apparently is all they need - unfortunately I doubt it will be sufficient for her to get into condition to lay a second clutch. In any event, her behaviour suggests that she hasn't given up on that egg. But without Odin sharing incubation, the chances of even a viable egg hatching are slim to none and we know that the chances of it being viable are almost non existant.

[/quote]I agree that it's unlikely that lack of fish is the problem. Also, EJ has not offered incubation duties to Odin. The nest seems lost for the year. They will need time for this to 'sink in' in human terms.

• Hello CRINGER!  We were worried about you, you scoundrel, staying away like that!

It's very nice to see you :-*

• Sensible, and realistic view of the current situation CRinger.

In the bigger picture, lets hope 'Nature' will always be allowed to be nature, and take its natural evolution course, if not always pretty, if man doesn't try to act as top predator all of the time.

• scylla said:
    It's very nice to see you :-*
    Yes indeed! (haven't logged off yet)