Balgavies Loch Ospreys 2015

Figured since all the other ospreys have new threads, I'd start a new thread for the nearest (visitable) nest to me, Balgavies Loch.  There seemed to be a few people in the hide so I didn't go in as I had the dogs with me to read the log to see what has been happening.  I know most people don't mind the dogs but if it is busy we give the hide a miss.  We did the walk around the loch and saw plenty of action from the ospreys.  The male chased off a heron and flew overhead before he got down to some frisky stuff with the female, so I guess that means they don't have eggs yet?

• Sheila I only go at the beginning of each season so never there when the chicks are around.   There is a book in the hide that people can leave comments in, so when I go soon I will see if there is any information in the book but then maybe there is a new book for every season.    

This is what was in the front of the book when I visited for my first time in 2013.  

• I have spent the last 8 days staying just 2 miles from Balgavies (pronounced Balguy) Loch, and had a wonderful time watching this pair.   

This is my third year of visiting, on my 5 visits this year the hide was always busy with local people, 4 chaps on a tour of all the Osprey sites, others came from all corners of the UK and even people from France, so it shows how popular this site has become.

Green BF certainly brings in big fish, but I was amazed by how tolerant the female White UF was, twice I seen him devour a rather large fish, and not once did she call on him to bring her some, he took ages getting through it too, but yet she waited, and waited, and waited LOL....

The log book that was there before is no longer there, but there was a diary for this year, and one entry certainly had my attention, there was a visit from a Green CF, but I could not find any details in SueC's data. 

Also it looked like Green BF returned on 3rd April, and White UF on the 7th April.  

We also made two visits to a wild nest, it was amazing to be able to watch this pair through binoculars as it was a good distance off, but really nice to be watching all by ourselves.   

• Hi Mary, thanks so much for posting this about Balgavies (I have been pronouncing it wrong in my head all this time, so thanks for putting me right on that!).

How interesting about the log record of Green CF... maybe SueC or someone will be able to look into it and see if there is a record of this bird somewhere?

PS Did it look like the pair were incubating? 

• Chocoholix - I had been pronouncing it wrong too, until I heard it said a few times this visit LOL....

Tiger will probably know when the last Green Rings were used, I was thinking it could even been Green BF's sister paying him a visit, you never know.  

• Was just checking Chocoholix to see if it was OK to post about them incubating, and as they have their own Facebook Page which mentions that they are incubating I suppose it is OK to confirm that to you here.  :-)  

• Cant wait for my 2 wk break in Scotland.Ive been visiting Balgavies Loch for the past 4 yrs and have spent many an hour watching the Ospreys from the hide.Balgavies is 5mins from where we stay with family so whilst my partners visiting relatives ill be sneaking off with my camera to spend endless hours waiting for the perfect shot :-)

• Hi Allison, having watched them now for the last three years I have grown very fond of the resident pair here.   Enjoy your visit when you go, it is a lovely place to visit.   Small hide, good banter, and some very nice friendly folk.

• Hi Mary, thanks for the update!  You're right about Balgavies being really busy too, I haven't been able to go into the hide with the dogs as there have been too many people there, not to mention loads of people walking around the loch itself.  Was lucky to get parked last time as there was only one space left in the car park.

Think they may need to invest in a bigger car park and hide at this rate!

This does mean that I am pretty much unable to update much, I can only say what I see and not what has been recorded in the diary which is a shame.  Not a lot was happening last time I was there though, the female was sitting on the nest and the male disappeared off somewhere.  She was calling a bit but not much.  I'm thinking she is sitting on eggs but obviously can't confirm that.

• Hi KatTai

You weren't there on Thursday just after three, when we came out I noticed a couple disappearing with two dogs, and wondered if it might be you.  

Yes it is always busy as very much in the public domain now.   

I hope you will still post any photos that you take though. 

• I made a little video of my visits to Balgavies.   Not the best of photos as just used a bridge camera at full zoom which means a millimeter of movement means a big shake, maybe a small tripod would help but not sure for about moving it about.