Recording events on the Loch Garten nest

Good morning, all!

I have been wondering for a while whether we're going about the business of recording events at Loch Garten in the wrong way as the interest and number of people posting seems to have taken a serious nosedive this year.  I've just looked at yesterday's Daily Update thread - started by the magnificent Scylla at Mission Control in the small hours - the thread got 31 responses from only five people (including Scylla herself) and, given the greater number of both posts and posters only two years ago, I would like to know if there is a sincere lack of interest in this nest or whether it is simply down to a much bigger number of people lurking rather than posting.  Incidentally the Daily Update thread from May 9th 2012 got 174 responses even though the only thing going on was incubation with the odd fish delivery.

Any thoughts?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Ha ha CLARE, my OH would be happy if I went into a tardis but only if I reappeared in time to do the washing before he ran out of shirts---

• Ok, let's face it, there is usually a quiet spell after eggs have been laid and the birds are incubating. Unless there is something to record ie intruders, unusual happenings, fish arrivals then it is understandable that not much will be posted. No point saying something just for the sake of saying something. Likewise not much point (only my opinion here so shoot me if you like) in people coming in posting lots of duplicate captures or video clips of the same thing right now. As has been mentioned, after hatching there will be lots going on to discuss and record, especially when the chicks start knocking ten bells out of each other :)

• Heather B said:

Ha ha CLARE, my OH would be happy if I went into a tardis but only if I reappeared in time to do the washing before he ran out of shirts---

LOL!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I also am reminded by catlady that since I bought a tablet computer, I switch on my desktop pc much less, and that is where I can see the webcam - I can't get the live webcam to work on my tablet. Also, these days, I can get captures on neither, so cannot contribute except to report.
  • Unknown said:
     For me personally I work minimum 40 hour weeka d am not allowed to view webcams at work. When I get home I dont have time always to watch as is it bird bed time

Hello Clare, hello everyone,

the above given quotation of Lmac is just what keeps me from reading and posting more. For over a month now work has been harder than ever, and I have to work more hours at the moment because of some colleagues being ill. I am still quite new as an active poster on the community, but before that I have for nearly 2 years followed the Loch Garten Ospreys as a reader. But at the moment it is very hard to just pulling myself together and just read. I hope that the times will change again. On my part it is really not desinterest!!!!!!!! Please keep the thread going, I promise I will try my best to keep reading, and maybe I will also post something when I have the opportunity.

With kind regards,

Bente

• I am also a lurker on this thread and would like to express my appreciation to Scylla and others for all the work they put in to the DU.    If I have'nt been able to look in during the day, I take my i pad to bed to catch up on all the news.   I agree with a lot of things that have already been said by others, it is a very quiet time at the moment, and once the eggs hatch there will be a lot more to watch and hopefully more posters.  Loch Garten Ospreys have always been my first and foremost interest but I do feel that the quality of the webcam is so poor that to tell the truth I do enjoy watching  Dyfi,  Rutland Water and others much more.  I also happen to live about an hour from Loch  Garten and so can visit in person.   I do realise that the work falls on a few but it is very much appreciated!

• So if I may I will try to summarise a number of points made.

1. Incubation is a quiet time

2. A change in technology has affected peoples habits

3. More high quality cams in other places takes some of the people to other places

4. Although not mentioned until now the elephant in the room is Facebook. Facebook forums are very busy.

5. What have I missed? 

• 6.  The live cam won't play on people's tablets.

• Clare Bailey said:

6.  The live cam won't play on people's tablets.

That is what I was thinking of in number 2.

However I believe that cams can work on most tablets but I do not know for sure.

• I have not tried to use a tablet - I find Limpy's laptop fiddly enough!