Recording events on the Loch Garten nest

Good morning, all!

I have been wondering for a while whether we're going about the business of recording events at Loch Garten in the wrong way as the interest and number of people posting seems to have taken a serious nosedive this year.  I've just looked at yesterday's Daily Update thread - started by the magnificent Scylla at Mission Control in the small hours - the thread got 31 responses from only five people (including Scylla herself) and, given the greater number of both posts and posters only two years ago, I would like to know if there is a sincere lack of interest in this nest or whether it is simply down to a much bigger number of people lurking rather than posting.  Incidentally the Daily Update thread from May 9th 2012 got 174 responses even though the only thing going on was incubation with the odd fish delivery.

Any thoughts?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• You raise an interesting point Claire. The fact that it has gone unanswered for over an hour is interesting too.

I think that the reasons are many and not always easy to quantify.

One of the things which has been true last year and again this year is how few true new members this group gets.

How much of that is because of its poor technical state is also hard to assess, but it must play a part. 

I would say however that the DU thread is central to the Loch Garten Group. Without it there is not much point in the rest of the forum from the point of the RSPB. 

I do believe that the DU thread once took 652 messages in one day. 

• I have been a reader, not a poster mostly, this year - I do, gratefully, pop in at all times of day & night to "see" how the birds are doing, and its much appreciated that I can catch up on the latest news.

Sometimes it's because people have a lot going on in their lives, rather than a disinterest. I think if it were possible to count the "hits" it would be surprising how many people do the same. :-)

• I am a lurker too C, I do keep up with events as posted by you, Scylla & others - rely on it, in fac & is much appreciatedt!  The reason I do not post is that I am watching several Peregrine nests, Buzzards at Arne, Goshawk in New Forest & two active Kestrel nests waiting for hatching!  It does take a great deal of time to check on all these & grab screenshots of chicks (to keep others updated) who will be well grown by the time all Ospreys are hatching ... bet you will see an upsurge in DU posts when that happens!!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I find myself agreeing with Lindybird.

Particularly at the time of incubation there is often nothing significant to comment on.The point about recording 'hits' is certainly valid and would no doubt provide a more accurate indication of interest. The contribution from 'Mission Control' along with other stalwarts is frequently commented on by those whos time,for whatever reason, usually work!,is limited. I suspect many of those people do keep an eye on things but do not have the time, necessarily, to respond. Problems with the site in terms of response clearly is an issue at times.

• Doggie I was also waiting to see how long before there was a response to my OH's post.

I had stopped posting on the DU to see whether or not there would be other posters posting to keep the DU going - sadly there were no posters yesterday apart from the lovely ladies Scylla, Sheila, Patily, Lynette and Clare so it looks like I need to return to posting on there.

I do agree with Tiger that the poor quality of the cam does not help.  It does my head in.

I appreciate what Lindy is saying - most people do have a lot going on going on - but this does result in a very incomplete set of events, with things like fish deliveries and intruders going completely unreported.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Yes it is alright saying that "I only read". However if everyone does that there is nothing to read either.

The fact is that the recording is falling on too few people and that is an issue which will impact on the whole group sooner or later.

I do not think that anyone should feel the need to keep the show on the road by themselves. 

• Um- recording and reporting has been greatly appreciated and several people have done it over the years esp our American friends. I see it as a kind gift from those who have the time and motivation to do it. I do say thank you occasionally and mean it. However, if nobody did the reporting and captures, I would accept that too.

• bet you will see an upsurge in DU posts when that happens!!!

This is my thought too....and hope

Probably more people look at the nest but there is a limit to how many times the same thing can be recorded when nothing untoward is happening....thank goodness I look in more times than I post for example

• Not just cam quality but the quality of the entire Community section of the RSPB website has been so bad at times that so many members must have got fed up and drifted away in droves. Plus Facebook and Twitter have killed off a great many messageboards and forums over time.

The point has been made, and rightly so, that this is the Loch Garten ospreys Group.

• Great my message has completely disappeared A case in point re:the site I was agreeing with WENDY that hopefully there will be more posts once we have bobble heads.

I look in more times than I post, for example...and the slowness sometimes is really offputting