Caledonia (memories of)

When I woke today I noted that this was the anniversary of our family moving house many years ago. I always think of it as I associate it with the day my memory switched on. 

I had no idea that the 7th January is now going to be the day that we discovered that Caledonia has perished. 

The 2012 season at Loch Garten was traumatic in many way. It started with a strange male (Blue XD) in the nest that EJ took a real shine to. However when Odin turned up on 1st April he evicted the impostor and EJ also seemed to attack him. 

An uneasy peace reigned and when the egg which Caledonia hatched from was laid on 9th April it was touch and go whether Odin would brood it or kick it out of the nest. After some hesitation he accepted it and a difficult incubation began. 

The weather during the incubation was atrocious with endless rain. 

Caledonia hatched on 16 May about half an hour shy of midnight.

ChloeB and I headed to Loch Garten on 19th May and amazing the weather turned brilliant and remained so for all our holiday. 

It was very good to visit and see three young chicks in the nest. 

The season continued to have its difficulties but Caledonia fledged and migrated and surprised most of us by electing to stay in Spain.

Then there was the incredible joy generated when Valerie, Alison and Pip went out to visit Caledonia and found and photographed her. 

As the months passed I began to feel confident that she would be returning north in May 2014. 

Now we have this devastating news that her life is at an end. While it is hard to take I think it is best we see the good she achieved in her life accept that once again the life of a young osprey has many dangers. 

Caledonia your memories are burned in our hearts and it was a great privilege to share your short life.