So first on our new team introduction is going to be Rishane, who has come all the way from France to be isolated with us this season! I will let her tell you more... 

So, this is it. We’re all stranded. When I first arrived in the Scottish highlands the last thing I expected to happen was being told to self-isolate. But let’s be honest, social distancing was already a thing here, even before the outbreak of coronavirus. Miles and miles of sheep populated hills, where your nearest neighbour might well be a hare or a group of very vocal birds bickering over a bird feeder. The harsh winds and slicing cold, the unpredictable ways in which the menacing clouds travel over the land can make a newcomer, like myself, apprehensive. But there is undeniable beauty here, manifesting itself in all sorts of wild and natural forms, a place full of marvellous surprises I was eager to discover.

I packed my bags and flew from my hometown in the South of France, to Inverness and all the way through to Aviemore. And as I took my very first steps onto Scottish soil, I was greeted by 50 mile-an-hour winds that may have blown me straight out of the country again. Nevertheless, driving through the last remaining cover of ancient Caledonian pine forest was a spectacular sight that evening. Looming over the road, these tall silent giants served as a reminder of how small we are in comparison.

Nature never did cease to amaze me…

Conservation has always been a no-brainer for me. Having travelled to the African continent, the Peruvian amazon and Borneo, I have been lucky enough to witness and document some of the last remaining wild places on Earth.

And at this time, communication is key...

As I was hoping to get closer to people and share my passion for conservation as others have done before me, the world was suddenly put on hold. But staying connected is still possible and is now more important than ever. By designing a website, I was able to create a lasting platform where anyone can discover the wonders of wildlife. Whether you’re seeking a little wild adventure, want to discover fascinating species, or even learn new ways to be greener from home: www.intothewildconservation.com.

Through my degree in Wildlife Conservation, research and fieldwork, I have seen the most incredible species and met inspiring scientists dedicated to study and preserve natural habitats. The problem with this line of work is that there are so many fields and so many great things to choose from. I’ve studied Amazon river dolphins, insect-eating bats in Borneo and venomous snakes in Portugal. And now? Now is the time for understanding the importance of forest management and restoration within the realms of the Abernethy reserve. Work that is vital for entire populations of ground nesting birds like the iconic capercaillie, invertebrates, and many other spectacular species that depend on a healthy complex ecosystem.

So, what do you say? Let’s keep sharing, educating, and inspiring each other to emerge stronger and more determined than before in protecting our natural heritage.

Thank you for this lovely blog Rishane, what she might have failed to mention is that she is also a keen photographer and has been getting some great shots in the forest. Lets hope lock down won't effect that too much. Here is a shot she took of a pair of bullfinches in the forest. 

Parents Comment Children
No Data