'Premium' hides for exclusive use by photographers??

• In reply to Whistling Joe:

Whistling Joe said:

They may be targeted at photographers, due to the design or location (the Old Moor one is buried in the ground to get you down to the bird's level), but are not restricted to them. The report I read (by Matthew, back in March) certainly does NOT say they are exclusively for photographers.

That May be the case, but what I do begrudge is members having to pay a premium to use these bird hides.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

THOMO said:

That May be the case, but what I do begrudge is members having to pay a premium to use these bird hides.

I hope the RSPB will take on board your views on this, and that you said why you believe membership should give you access to all hides when you wrote to them.

Let's assume RSPB takes on board your view. What will happen after the trial? No new hides in existing reserves as no extra fees? If the trial shows people won't pay extra, the trial will end as you wish. What would be RSPB's driver though to create these hides you want access to? There would be no driver so everyone would lose (or at least not gain) including those who'd want to pay extra. Potential extra income opportunity lost.

• In reply to Robbo:

My main point is non-members could pay for these premium hides and also as in my early days of membership the RSPB charged for the majority of the reserves back in the early 1970's for non-members and had so for years. Maybe they should go back to doing that, as the majority of the RSPB reserve are free to non-members as well as members except for a few of the premium reserves at the present time. And they managed to make it work back then in that era. That's where some of the funding could come from today.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

RSPB members can use the photography hide at Old Moor at a discounted rate - chances are the same will apply to other new photography hides on RSPB reserves.

Just wanted to make a point about 'better views'. Traditional birding hides tend to be in elevated positions on the edge of an area of interesting habitat to allow visitors to see over a wide vista, and potentially to see more birds than they would if the hide was set lower and more 'in amongst' the habitat. A hide designed specifically to allow good eye-level photo opportunities of one or a few target species is going to be very different, but the experience will not necessarily be 'better' from a general birding point of view.

My blog: http://mazzaswildside.blogspot.co.uk/

My Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124028194@N04/

• In reply to aiki:

What do I come under I like bird watching and I like photography, I pay my yearly subscription every year, and think this topic has really gone off the grid, what started out as noisy people in hides be it birdwatchers or photographers has turned into some birdwatchers demanding that photographers pay to use hides,Ive been in hides where both sides are hogging the hides and both sides being extremely noisy too.

For some of us who remember theres been a long sort of battle between photographers and bird watchers, why cant there be a happy medium between everyone, this topic was a valid one, both sides dont need noisy people in the hide when your sat there quietly waiting for your best shot or a new tick on your year list, Ive experienced both sides of this, so come on guys work it out, and I say No to pay as you photo hides, should my local site introduce this then I would forget the RSPB altogether, after all where does all our subscriptions go

Ray Wilby

• In reply to zooomer:

For crying out loud, for the love of, can we just put a stop to this stupidity.

Agree?

• In reply to aiki:

I think that there is a real misunderstanding over what photography hides of this sort are likely to offer. As has been said, they are not likely to offer better views they will offer the sort of viewpoint that keen photographers are after (especially if they are purposely built). As Aiki has already said, they will most likely provide the opportunity to get good shots of a rather restricted number of species, perhaps from an unusual angle.

As far as being closer to the birds is concerned, in this case I think there is a general misunderstanding about how close you need to be to wildlife to get the best shots (if you want the subject to be near full frame). For a passerine sized bird (e.g. a Robin), for a full frame shot you will need to be within about 10 metres of the bird - even with one of the 'huge' lens you see photographers with. For larger birds (e.g. ducks and waders) the difference between being 20 metres away and 30 metres away is significant if you are taking photos - but makes no difference whatsoever when you are simply watching (especially if you   have a telescope). If  photographic hides on any reserves are closer to the birds it is unlikely to be by much, and will almost certainly make no difference at all  to the quality of view you can get with binoculars and/or telescopes.

I can honestly say that if there were photographic hides on all reserves I doubt very much that I would want to visit them for general birding - even if they were free to access. On the other hand, if I want the sort of 'special' views that are likely to be on offer from a particular hide I would be happy to pay a premium for the privilege.

There is nothing at all to stop anyone who wants to paying for time in a hide, even if it is advertised as "exclusively for photography".

• In reply to RoyW:

Ok, I'm off Lakenheath Fen,

Goodbye, you are the weakest link!

David, please keep using my photos.

• In reply to Steve Dobromylski:

And that's why there should not be an extra charge for any of the hides. It's like having first and second class on train and similar on plaines.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

It should be noted that although this thread is in the Lakenheath forum, I do not believe that there are any photographic hides on the reserve and I have not heard of any plans to introduce them. Perhaps the thread should be moved to the main forum.

Personally I think that it's a shame that people seem to be so against something which could bring extra revenue to reserves and would not impact on the enjoyment those who don"t pay to use the hides get from their visit in the slightest. If the RSPB don't use this idea it will more than likely mean that no one gets the hides to use