Are there any Golden Oriales at Lakenheath Fen this year

Hi,

I'm wondering whether there are any Golden Oriales breeding at Lakenheath Fen this year?

• Golden Orioles don't normally arrive till around mid-May.  He/they stayed only briefly last year, as far as I'm aware.  They did stay till relatively late in 2012 but again, as far as I'm aware, there hasn't been any successful breeding at the reserve for some time.

• Hello Ian,

Thank you for your post. As mrm27 rightly says, the birds haven't arrived yet. Our earliest ever record of golden oriole here was on the 26 April 2011. The birds were very late in last year with the first record coming on 17 May.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to prove that golden orioles have nested here since 2009. Although reasons for this are unknown, this seems to be in line with a range contraction of this species across the whole of north-west Europe. We have always been right on the edge of their breeding range and they seem to be increasing in the south and east and declining in the north and west of their range.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to give the reserve office a ring on 01842 863400 or e-mail lakenheath@rspb.org.uk; We hope to hear from you soon.

Many thanks,

David White

Communications Officer

• Any news at all about breeding Golden Orioles yet at Lakenheath Fen in 2014?

• Hello Thomo,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately, we haven't had any confirmed sightings of golden orioles on the reserve this year. There have been a few unconfirmed reports but nothing has been confirmed by staff. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to give the office a ring on 01842 863400 or e-mail lakenheath@rspb.org.uk;

Many thanks, David White, Communications Officer