Lakenheath First Timer

I am 24 and moved to Cambridge in July for a work position. I will be visiting Lakenheath for the first time on Saturday 12th October. As a recent newcomer to birdwatching(around 4 years) I have developed a particular taste for birds of prey. What species are likely to be seen in the Lakenheath area? any particular hotspots or favoured areas of the reserve? The same applies to cranes which would be a first for myself. Any information and things to look out for (noty specific to those I have mentioned) would be greatly appreciated. Matthew
  • Hello Matthew,

I would recommend getting down to Joist Fen viewpoint for around 3pm just to be on the safe side, depending on how much light you have. A telescope will be helpful and be aware that most of the hen harriers don't tend to come in until the light has almost gone.

There seem to be two merlins around, a first winter male and a female. Joist Fen viewpoint tends to be the best place to see them but as I am sure you are aware, you have to be quite lucky to see them as they are very quick and sometimes, once you have realised what you are looking at, it is long gone!

If there is anything else you would like to know, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

David White

Information Officer

• Thanks for your reply David.

I will certainly keep my eye out for Merlin(s), I presume you mean they are low and fast over the reeds and less specifically to the roost (more likely to be seen at any point during the day)? Having never seen one before it would be nice to catch up with one!

• Hello,

They are certainly low and fast over the reedbeds and the silhouette is a lot more peregrine like than kestrel like if that makes any sense. They have very pointed wings. The males are especially tiny, they only stand as tall as a mistle thrush!

I would say that the afternoon is still the best time to see them as their usual hunting tactic is to catch small birds in flight that are heading to roost.

Good luck,

David