Good morning. There are a variety of things to update you on so without any further ado, I will begin!

This lovely image of a bittern was photographed from Mere Hide on Thursday:

Thank you very much to Bob Britton for sharing this image with us!

I also took a couple of pictures in the sunshine on Friday morning, that I hope you like:

Image credit: David White

An otter was seen from the Washland viewpoint on Friday afternoon and a lapwing was also present with a chick. There were good numbers of wasp beetles around yesterday and at least two great white egrets were seen from Joist Fen viewpoint over the course of the day. 

It was very warm for my walk around the reserve this morning. This did mean though that there were good numbers dragonflies and damselflies on the wing. This included a female scarce chaser at the edge of the car park and good numbers of banded demoiselles feeding alongside the riverbank. 

A male marsh harrier was hunting over the washland and a cuckoo was calling in the distance as I walked around Brandon Fen. Shortly after we opened up the visitor centre, volunteer Paul saw a little ringed plover and a pair of oystercatchers from the Washland viewpoint. 

Now that we are into June, I thought I would include a couple of plugs for events that are coming up. Firstly, we still have places available on our bittern and marsh harrier survey events that are taking place every Tuesday morning this month. If you would like to join us for one of them, please click here for more information. Secondly, our annual Beginners photography workshop with Site Manager Dave Rogers will take place on Sunday 30 June, 10am-4pm. Please follow this link for more information. 

Also,. there is now a job vacancy in the team here so if you would like to work at this wonderful reserve, please click here to read more. We hope to hear from you soon!

If you are planning to visit the reserve, please note that there are still cattle grazing on the riverbank Public Footpath.