Little terns

Just wondered if anyone has noted if there are any little terns nesting this year at hodbarrow. I know in the past couple of years they have nested elsewhere because of the colony of lesser black backed gulls.I would be gratefull if anyone can advise me on this.

Thanks.

• Hi Nez,I spotted 1 when we were there on May 1st,which was my first visit. Also present were Sandwich,Common and Arctic. Here's hoping the Little Terns do breed there this time!

• Hi Nez

Small numbers of little terns are seen daily around the island but none have started nesting as yet. We have our fingers crossed but it's looking unlikely that they will breed at Hodbarrow this year.  On the positive side most of the birds have re-located to Foulney Island just down the coast where hopefully they will raise plenty of young.

Norman

Nez said:

Just wondered if anyone has noted if there are any little terns nesting this year at hodbarrow. I know in the past couple of years they have nested elsewhere because of the colony of lesser black backed gulls.I would be gratefull if anyone can advise me on this.

Thanks.

• Thanks norman for the new information.Can you tell me if there is any viewable areas near Foulney Island to view the little terns.

thanks Neil.

• You can walk on to Foulney Island to see the terns (directions on Cumbria Wildlife Trust web-site) from the Roa Island causeway just to the south of Rampside village.  The site has a resident warden during the breeding season.

Norman