A Good Find Followed By A Lack Of Concentration

We visited Ham Wall for the first time today and were most impressed by the whole site and Shapwick next door, definite shades of Albufeira Marsh in Majorca - we even had Marsh Harriers flying around.We were most surprised to see a glossy ibis with a Gt White and a Little Egret on the Avalon Hide side of the site, about as far from the path as the hide and about 0.5kms in the Glastonbury direction in a small pool. We then visited Noahs Ark hide and heard and had fleeting glimpses of bearded tits. We left on a high but on arriving home think we left our travelling scope tripod in the hide - the scope was in my back pack. If anyone has any news of the tripod we would appreciate it. Gill and Philip Marlow
  • Dear Gill & Philip,

Thank you for your kind comments about the reserve and of our neighbours at Shapwick Heath. Great That you got to see the Glossy Ibis ( I believe it's still around but tends to stay well hidden for most people - including me unfortunately) I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your tripod. It sounds as though you left it at Noah's hide on Shapwick Heath. This is manged by Natural England. I've just popped down to their office but there is nobody in at present.

I will try again later but just wanted you to know that I had seen your message. I'll let you know if they have found anything.

I hope you come to visit us again. We have large Starling flocks here in the winter - peaking around Dec, Jan and into Feb or you could perhaps come in May when bitterns are in full song (boom) and they are also much more visible - it's a great month all round really

I'll be back in touch shortly - hopefully with a positive result

Kind Regards

Steve Couch

Assistant Warden

• Hello again Gill & Philip,

I've spoken to the guys at Natural England and they do have a tripod in a case that was found in Noah's hide at around the time you visited. The make is "Manfrotto" and it looks quite new.

Does this sound like yours?

If so you may wish to call our office and we can arrange to have you reunited. Our number is 01458 860494. There is usually somebody here Mon - Fri 8.30-4.30. If not you can always leave a message on our answer phone and we'll get back to you.

Kind Regards

Steve