Getting there!

Hey all I am debating whether or not to come and visit Frampton Marsh. I am in Spalding and not the most confident of drivers, I have looked at google maps and the marsh seems to have a lot of winding and single file roads to get to it. Is it easy to get to and am I likely to come across oncoming traffic down those single file roads that are closest to the marsh? Are there points that you can pull over in to let incoming traffic pass? I'm so nervous of coming due to these roads but really want to test out my brand new Nikon D5300.
  • The road is narrow between the A16 and the reserve but there are plenty of areas to use as passing places. The reserve is worth visiting.

• Afternoon Gary,

There are 2 exits off the A16 that will take you to the reserve. There is an unofficial clockwise one way system in place that means you leave the A16 at the northern exit which is brown signposted Frampton Marsh. From there it is open roads and few houses but not many 'passing places'. If you drive at a speed you're comfortable with then you should be able to keep an eye out on what's in front as you can see pretty clearly and should be able to pull in in good time if there is any oncoming traffic. The southern route (from the Kirton roundabout) is often used by people leaving the reserve. You do have to travel through Frampton village so it is a little built up and visibility is less than the route above but there is a residential speed limit. Once you're clear of the village the road does wiggle but there are passing places and again there are no hedges to obstruct visibility so you can plan to pull in if you do see oncoming traffic.

In summary the northern section has less traffic but fewer passing spaces and the southern route has more traffic and more passing places.

What I would suggest is using Google Street View to virtual drive the route from the comfort of your computer. Search for Frampton RSPB in Google maps then go to the icons at the bottom right of the page, click on the gold man and drag him onto Frampton Roads and you can navigate both routes.

Hope that helps and look forward to seeing you soon.

• Thank you guys for the info. I am still getting to grips with my new Nikon D5300 but now I know exactly where Frampton Marsh is and your info has helped a lot. I shall be planning a visit very soon:) I am hoping to snap a few shot of my favourite bird of prey, the peregrine falcon:)

• Hi Gary, I've been to Frampton on several occasions now and it really is worth taking the plunge and going there - it has got to be one of my favourite RSPB reserves - so much to see and it never disappoints.  In the past, I have always been a passenger rather than the driver and gone with my local bird group, but just a couple of days ago I decided to drive there myself.  I'm not confident either at driving to new places, and to be fair I did have a friend with me who read me all the directions out!  I just put the post code into the AA route planner and followed the directions.  Once we were through Boston, there were clear brown information signs all the way.  Yes,the roads were narrow in places, but on the couple of occasions we did meet oncoming traffic, it was easy enough to find somewhere to pass.

Hope you have a great trip!

• After seeing your photo's on your flickr page, I have decided I am definitely going to Frampton Christine, lol... I am playing around with my camera at the moment to get use to it. By April I will have a digiscope too to take really close up shot (Cannot wait to get it now.) I also discovered today my brother and his wife go there sometimes to look round and have when I mentioned it offered to go with my afew times till im use to it lol (really hate driving in out in the sticks places on my own.) Are there many people there when you have been Christine?

• Hi Gary, sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen this.  I only  really like driving to places I know the way to, and am not very good at setting off to new places, but am happy to go if someone else is in the car with me to help me find my way!  It might be an idea for you to go with your brother and his wife the first time although it is quite well signposted.  

I wouldn't say Frampton is packed when I go there, but there are usually plenty of cars in the car park and other people around in the hides.  It's quite a big reserve so people get spread out, but it has a good feel about it.  There are places I will walk round on my own and places I won't and this would be one place I wouldn't mind going round on my own.  It's an hour and a half drive for me so I don't get there all that often, but it really is worth going - plenty of birds all year round.

• Thanks for the info ChristineB, I cant wait to go now. I shall make a visit with my brother first just to get use to where it is. Then I shall be going on my own for sure. I will be getting a spotting scope in April so Frampton Marsh will be the place I go to test it out. Its only half an hour from me so its not to bad. I'm really excited to go and get some great shot as I will be using them to draw or paint, as I am a self taught artist. Maybe I will see you all there very soon :)