• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 4 - 10 May 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings. With me, Chris the visitor guy.

Bad news to start with. I'm afraid it loooks like our long-staying long-billed dowitcher has finally done a bunk. No sign since 1 May. But we had them for 251 days, and it was seen by hundreds if not thousands of people, so we can't complain really.

In absence of the dowitcher, what has been about? Cue the maps...

• 11 May 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog: 27 April - 3 May 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to another edition of the Frampton Marsh recent sightings. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

Enough yapping, how about some maps?

Last Saturday was a wee bit on the windy side, which did cut down on the sightings. First hobby for the year was nice though, and completed our list of summer migrants.

As you can see, Sunday was a bit calmer, and hence a bit more busy!

The turtle doves have definitely…

• 3 May 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 20 - 26 April 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the visitor guy. And yes, your eyes are not deceiving you. This blog IS actually going out on a Friday night. Well, there is some pretty good stuff out there, so despite the promise of rather windy weather for this tomorrow I figured there may be quite a few people who would want to make weekend plans.

So, with no further ado, let's hit…

• 26 Apr 2019
  • Why is there so much water?

Another blog here from Jenny, our Visitor Experience Intern. This week she is looking at a question that lots of our visitors have been asking. "Why is there so much water?"

----------------------------

If you’re heading over to Frampton Marsh over the next few weeks you might notice it currently looks a little bit like Atlantis, only wetter. Don’t worry, we’re not reopening as an aquarium. The habitat is carefully…

• 23 Apr 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 13 - 19 April 2019

Howdy folks, and welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings. With me, Chris the visitor guy.

Phew! Bit of a busy time in the world of visitor experience, with all the Easter activities on. Hence this coming out on Saturday, rather than Friday. Hope no-one minds too much. Nor that this is going to have to be another bare-bones quick one. So, what do we have for you? Cue the maps...

Right, I really really…

• 20 Apr 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 6 - 12 April 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

A bit later than I'd have liked this week, been a busy time with the Easter holidays on. So we will waste no time and crack on with the maps, with minimal commentary from me..

Sorry, no map for the Sunday

I will save up the photos and put them in next week's blog.

• 13 Apr 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 30 March - 5 April 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

Well, ever more evidence that spring is on the way this week. With the slight hiccup of Wednesday, with hail and sleet. Oh well, ne'er cast a clout til May be out. And no sign of any hawthorn blossom yet. What there is sign of though are sightings map. Look, there they are, just below...

So the long-billed dowitcher…

• 6 Apr 2019
  • Quiet Hour at Frampton

Last week our visitor experience intern Jenny talked about the Easter activities we are running at the reserve. But not all families like to be in busy places, especially if they have children with autism or sensitivity to stimulae. Not to worry, we have it covered. Read on to find out more...

-------------------------

During the Easter holiday we will be holding two ‘Quiet hours’ outside of public opening hours. These…

• 4 Apr 2019
  • Easter Fun at Frampton!

In the next of our regular blogs from our visitor experience intern Jenny, she looks at our Easter activities...

---------------------------

Now the weather is starting to get a little warmer, it’s a great opportunity to spend time outdoors and connect with nature. From feathered friends arriving to nest over the summer to exciting family activities, here’s why you should be adding a trip to Frampton Marsh to your Easter…

• 30 Mar 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 23 - 29 March 2019

OK, getting this out on a Friday this week, as the weather looks lovely, the winds are from the south, and so this could be a good time for an influx of both summer migrants and also birdwatchers. What is there to be seen? Well, we will let the maps say it all...

A pretty full board there, and a good variety too. Mostly…

• 29 Mar 2019
  • Dog-friendly Frampton!

In the next of her to-be-regular blog posts, Jenny our visitor experience intern looks at the offer the reserve has for dog owners...

------------------

Looking for somewhere new to take your furry friend?

Frampton Marsh is an excellent space for dog walking. Dogs are welcome on all the public footpaths around the reserve and on the sea bank. This includes a lovely walk down to the mouth of the River Witham. The only…

• 24 Mar 2019
  • Frampton Marsh (and Freiston Shore) recent sightings: 16 - 22 March 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to a slightly delayed recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the visitor guy!

Yes, apologies this is somewhat late going to press, it has been a busy old time. No messing about now though, straight onto the maps.

A bit damp last Saturday, but double mustelid action was nice. And if you were wondering who Matthew Flinders was.... he was a local Lincolnshire lad turned explorer.

St Patrick's Day…

• 23 Mar 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 10 - 15 March 2018

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings with me, Chris the Visitor Guy. Fresh from some time off, which is why there wasn't a sightings blog last week. So lets get straight back onto it, with this week's maps.

As you can see from last Sunday's map, the avocets are starting to come back in numbers. Always a good sign of spring.

Though old faithfuls like the long-billed dowitcher and…

• 16 Mar 2019
  • A Fresh Face at Frampton - part deux!

After the blog post earlier this week in which we introduced our new conservation intern, we now have another 'hello' blog. This time we'd like to introduce Jenny, who will be the Visitor Experience intern for the next six months. Take it away Jenny!

----------------------------------------------

Hi! I’m Jenny and for the next six months I will be joining the team at RSPB Frampton Marsh as a visitor experience…

• 16 Mar 2019
  • A Fresh Face at Frampton - numero uno

Howdy folks!

If you are visiting the reserve over the next six months you will see a new regular face in RSPB uniform. Matt has joined us as a volunteer conservation intern, working alongside the wardening team. This is what he has to say for himself...

---------------------------------

Hello everybody, my name is Matt and I’ve just arrived at Frampton as the residential intern for practical conservation. I’m really look…

• 13 Mar 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 23 February - 1 March 2019

Howdy folks! And welcome back to another Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

Another fun-packed (well, sightings-packed) edition for you this week. So with no further ado, we will crack on and get to the maps. Actually wait, no we won't. We have an amendment to make to the last couple of week's editions. The female scaup being reported, isn't. John the site manager got a good look at…

• 2 Mar 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 16 - 22 February 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the visitor guy.

And gosh, hasn't it been lovely weather this week. As a result we've had lots of people visiting the reserve and enjoying all our wildlife. The car park has been full most days. And yet it has still been easy to get away from the crowds and find some peace and quiet, one of the advantages of the site. So, if you haven…

• 22 Feb 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 9 - 15 February 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the RSPB Frampton recent sightings. With me, Chris the visitor guy!

The bitingly cold days of a couple of week ago seem a distant memory now, as we've had a lovely sunny spell. Though I've probably jinxed it now and we'll be back to ice soon! But what creatures have been about? Cue the maps...

Well, the dowitcher is still with us!

The female scaup hadn't been seen for a while…

• 15 Feb 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 2 - 8 February 2019

Phew, all a bit wild and windy this morning as I write this. The wind is whipping across the marsh. Yet there are still good things to be seen. Cue the maps....

So the dowitcher is still here, and the water pipit was seen. And the whooper swans are still coming in to roost.

Same as Saturday, plus extras. Like the cape…

• 9 Feb 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 26 January - 1 February 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the World Wetlands Day edition of the recent sightings. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy. And if you are talking wetlands, Frampton Marsh IS a great example. Created from scratch and now home to lots of wonderful wildlife. Such as what? Well, cue the maps...

Well, that is a pretty good board to start with, with the dowitcher, water pipits, and a good supporting cast.

Quite windy on the Sunday…

• 2 Feb 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 19 - 25 January 2019

Howdy folks, and welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings. With me, Chris the visitor guy!

And I hope you are all having a fun and productive Big Garden Birdwatch. Remember, even low numbers count! So Please make sure you spend just an hour recording what birds use your garden, or the local park. We have done the office garden here at Frampton. Not the centre feeders though, don't think we can really call those…

• 26 Jan 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 12 - 18 January 2019

Howdy folks, and welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the slightly chilly Visitor Guy.

Brr, yes, turned a bit nippy. Well, it is January after all! What effect will that have on the wildlife? Cue the maps...

The whooper swans have moved to the north of the reserve, though still coming onto the reedbed to roost after dusk. A couple of Bewick's swans remain with them.

More furry…

• 19 Jan 2019
  • Frampton Marsh (and Freiston Shore) recent sightings: 4 - 11 January 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh (and sometimes Freiston Shore) recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy!

Second blog of the year, so what do we have for you? Let the maps commence...

The 'big five' are five species of raptor. Well, four and an owl, but that is splitting hairs. With a bit of patience (and possibly a good scope to look out over the saltmarsh) you should be able to get all five…

• 11 Jan 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 22 December 2018 - 4 January 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the visitor guy. A double-sized bumper blog today, covering the two weeks of the festive period. So let's knuckle down, and get looking at some maps.

Yes, that dodgy Cape shelduck is still with us.

Oooh, waxwings! Always a good bird to see

Oddly, no map for 25 December. Even I don't go to work on Christmas Day! (and hats off to…

• 4 Jan 2019
  • Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 15 - 21 December 2018

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy. 

Well, lets start with the traditional look through the week's maps. Though I'm afraid we don't have any for last weekend, so we have to start with Monday.

Yes, after disappearing for a couple of weeks, Sheldon the long-billed dowitcher is back in his spot. Returning after an even longer absence was a bearded tit…

• 21 Dec 2018