Visit 29th December

One of our regular visitors wanted to post her account of a recent visit but couldn't access the forum, so I'm posting it on her behalf.

"Very special today at Fowlmere, blue sky a white over hard frost and clouds like steam puffing up from the ground as it warmed up. The Mere frozen – the 6 teal that flew in found the landing unforgiving – no customary splash, just wide legs braced; no tumbles and the solitary snipe on the spit looked smugly on. Squealing water rail remained hidden from me but others had seen them.

A different story at Spring Hide, flowing water but it hadn’t been discovered so the springs bubbled energetically and the chaffinches searched the ground amongst the cut reeds in the sunshine for seeds.

Walking round the reserve what an abundance of treasures; 2 pairs of bullfinches, his chest hawthorn red, a tree creeper scurrying up one tree then on to another with the same urgency, the unexpected flash of blue as I disturbed a kingfisher and sent it rushing down the water channel, more blackbirds than I’ve ever seen in a day; migrant birds perhaps? Lots of berries and now the purple ivy berries too. The mistle thrush was gorging on these and for a long time I heard the tap tap of snails being broken open. I nearly forgot the long tailed tits chattering as they fed and flew and lots of wrens showing very boldly.

Fowlmere never disappoints and once again my spirits are lifted and my gaze at God’s goodness in creation astounds me. Good for my soul."