A great trip, and a muddy one too!

FDL is quite a reserve. Although slightly overgrown in places, it's one you can never forget. On the 11/8/12, I visited the reserve and didn't see much until I came to the hide. It was about, 6:30pm, and I wasn't expecting to see much, but I had my hopes high, and my patience was rewarded with the call and sighting of a Linnet and Water Rail. Although muddy too, it was still a great day out. I highly recommend this place, just make sure you come with a change of clothes and wellies.  

• Hi Oliver,

I may have met you at Fowlmere, FDL is my local reserve but I do love Fowlmere as well.

FDL is an amazing large reserve with lots of different habitats and two main walks, the Green Elney Lake Walk and the Red Ferry Lagoon Walk, both very different, on any of these you can lose yourself for many hours. And don't forget, the Guided Bus stops right in the middle of FDL reserve for perfect ease of access.

Although I do agree with wellies at times, the same as anywhere in wet conditions, a change of clothes is maybe OTT.

You will need insect repelant though.

The overgrown issue has now been dealt with.

Along the beautiful riverbank you can see Kingfishers and a family of Spotted Flycatchers.

I hope to see you at FDL soon.

• I believe you have done. My local reserve is, as you already know FDl, as I am based in Longstanton, about 2 miles from Swavesey. Most of the time I take the guided bus, and I aim to go up there every Sunday. It is a very nice reserve though. Lots to see and it will keep you amused all day! Glad to hear the overgrown problem is sorted. I have yet to work my way around the place yet, so generally just explore. Happy Watching,

Oliver