A Great Day.

What's that noise, oh no, its the six o'clock alarm, get up and put kettle on, double strength Millicano down throat and de-caff in my flask, lovely!. Off I go in anticipation of a great day bird and wildlife watching. As I turn into the entrance road I am greeted by some Yellowhammers, beautiful!, further down the entrance road is the "elephant grass" Kestrel haystack, kestrel not there, oh, unusual. Just before the bailey bridge on the right is the large flock of Linnets, wonderful!. Over bailey bridge past the S.E.O field, I always look as they can be seen in the morning. Turn right up to the bus way, over carefully and down the road to the car park. As soon as I get out of my car the Cetti's Warbler is singing his strong song, straight after I can hear a Chiffchaff singing his name.

As I make my way across to the kissing gate a Green Woodpecker flies up in front of me and I see what I think were two Wheatear's on the bare gravel patch, I'm not sure though. Through the kissing gate to the edge of Drayton Lagoon and up to the river, maybe I will be lucky as see the Seal, YES!, I'm in luck, it's there, brilliant. I follow the riverbank to the meadow and turn left towards Moore Lake. I front of me is a large Mink, wow!, I carry on walking and meet a beautiful Fox, must be a Vixen. There are the usual Tree Creepers and one Goldcrest on the corner. I cross the bus way and make my way to the hide. As I walk down the path to the hide I hear another Cetti's singing and what seemed like an endless line of Chiffchaff's. Wren's, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Robins and more see me to the hide.

In the hide I eagerly scan for Bean Geese and the Pink-Footed Goose, no luck. The Oystercatchers are arguing and the Lapwings are flying their amazing show. A Barn Owl quarterized the hide field gracefully and silently. All the usual birds are here, Redshank's, Snipe's and a Green Sandpiper patrol the muddy shores. A Little Egret paddles on a far bank. Time for a coffee, what's that just flew over the bus way towards the reeds, probably a Grey Heron, bins up, no wait!, it's a Bittern, oh glorious, what a sight, it landed by the reeds and melted away as it disappeared into them, gone.

Time to leave the hide, turn right following Elney Lake walk. I was hoping to see the Barn Owl in the long field, no luck, neither did I see the two Munjack. Around the walk I was followed by Long-Tailed Tits, or so it seemed. Great Tit's were sing their "saw" call and more Chiffchaff's. I get to the Elney north viewpoint and rest for a while, I may see the Bearded Reedlings, oh, no luck. Back to the car park following the deep drain. There are several Treecreepers hunting for food on the Willows that follow that waters edge. Wood Peckers are beating out their sound high in the trees.

I reach the car park and I am greeted with a wonderful Female Marsh harrier patroling over Holywell Lake. She stays for a while then goes off to the South. Driving out over the busway, several Bullfinch's are searching the Hawthornes for food, the Males look glorious in the sun. As I drive over the bailey bridge the Linnets are still there. The Skylarks are doing thier noisy and busy thing. Ah, I spot the "elephant grass" Kestrel, there she is. I look up and there is a beautiful Common Buzzard soaring above looking for a careless rabbit. I am seen off the reserve by four Yellowhammers.

I turn onto the Swavesey road towards home. A GREAT DAY!.