New Hide (Moore Lake)

We visited the new hide for the first time today (3.9.11) Great views & nice to get closer to the birds in that area. Well done all concerned! Any RSPB plans for further hides at Fen Drayton Lakes?...

• Good to know you like the views from the new hide.  There are aspirations for more, but not this year

• Nice to see the pathway to the hide from the busway is pretty much complete. A big improvement to that area and loads of birds to spot from the hide.

• Appolgies if this information is already on here - I've done my best to check.

I'm local to Fen Drayton, and would love to bring my camera down the hide some time, but I don't really know where to start. Is there any hide-etiquette I need to be aware of, or some specific way of approaching and entering the hide without spooking all the birds?

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

• Hi Mike,

I think really it's mainly common sense, if you can approach as quietly and inconspicuous as possible it will help, I don,t know if you have seen the hide but there are no side screens for cover, and the walkway to it is wooden, so gently and quiet is the key.

When your inside, again try to be as quiet as possible, when raising the viewing panels do it carefully and slowly, and MAKE SURE they are SECURE in position.

The hide is made from solid timber and as a result is naturally noisy, also the benches can be loud when moving them.

If you have a camera with lots of beeps and noises, turn them off in the hide.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself and talk to others using the hide, there are usually a few RSPB volunteers around, you can ask them.

Best of luck,

Steve.

• Thanks for the tips Steve!

I'm now a little bit nervous of my camera making a loud 'click' as the shutter releases and frightening off all the birds - and there will be some poor chap who has driven halfway across the country, and been sat there silently with a pair of binoculars since before dawn... Cringe....

Perhaps I can pick an unseasonable day for as practice....

• Hi Mike,

Don't worry, the "click" of your camera or shutter release sound is ok, it's not that loud, is it?.

There will be other noises, don't worry about that.

Have fun and enjoy it.

Cheers,

Steve.