Sightings Update

I thought I would post a quick update with some sightings of note from the reserve this week. Chris, project manager, and Hannah, assistant warden, were lucky enough to see a bittern on Elney Lake on Monday when they were out in the boat surveying the islands. This is the second sighting in 2 weeks as a very excited visitor reported one last weekend, I have yet to see one but fingers crossed I will soon. I saw my first Kingfisher of the year on Wednesday whilst walking around carrying out an infrastructure audit, I don't think you can ever grow tired of seeing that flash of blue darting low across the water.

The first wheatear of the autumn was seen last week at Ouse fen, it was a young male looking splendid in its pale orange plumage and did not seem bothered at all with us close by in the truck.

A group of 10 Egyptian geese were around yesterday on Far Fen, they are always an interesting sight, they are related to the shelduck and were escapees from and ornamental collection. More information on the website: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/e/egyptiangoose/index.aspx

The dragonflies are still making their presence known with some southern and migrant hawkers seen on the guided walk yesterday.

If you see anything of note when you are out and about on the reserve then please let us know by posting on the recent sightings thread on the forum.

Thanks

Pete