• My darling starlings

Did you take part in the Big Garden Birdwatch? My Birdwatch was from the comfort of my kitchen where I while away many an hour watching the visitors to the feeding station in my tiny urban back yard.

I installed my feeders about a year ago – a pole with a small tray, and 3 hanging feeders, and a bowl of water. There are 3 more feeders hanging from the edge of my shed. I put out fatballs, suet blocks, sunflower hearts…

• 'Desperate Times, Desperate Measures' & St. Aidan's Sightings

January is a long and desperate month for us; cold, mostly dark and goes on forever. For birds and other wildlife, it is February, which is just around the corner. Food is scarce and hard to find, the nights are still long, the temperatures low (in the main) and bird’s hormones are kicking in to start their breeding cycle. You may have noticed signs of the hormonal changes; the dawn chorus is getting busier with the early…

• Fairburn Ings sightings - Phil - 23/01

The year has started with some great showings across the Fairburn Ings. Most notably a visit from a pair of white fronted geese at the New flash, who were joined soon after by pair of pink footed geese. They didn't hang around long en route, but it was a nice treat. If you are on the lookout for these visitors, be sure to have some binoculars handy. As getting a closer look at them is essential, due to the difficulty…

• Big Garden Birdwatch Feeder Events & Tips - George

RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch is taking place at the end of the month! Sparrows, blackbirds, robins, how many will you spot in your green space? Half a million people took part last year and both Fairburn and St Aidan’s are hosting events to get you and your family prepared to welcome and record birds into your garden or local park.

As a new volunteer with RSPB I threw myself in the deep end and recently helped…

• George's Misty Morning at St Aidan's

To the delight of St Aidan's staff and visitors we’ve had sightings of a male hen harrier at the beginning of this week. Spotted early Monday morning at the North of Ridge and Furrow and up onto The Hillside.
    Deciding to stay for a little B&B in the area he was seen late on towards Western Reed beds and again the following morning over Ridge and Furrow and Hillside.
    Hen harriers, currently on the RSPB red…

• The colours of January (Gael)

January. You could be forgiven for thinking it’s just a drab, grey, dive under the duvet month. The tinsel and fairy lights have been packed away, and the festive season feels like a distant memory.

But a squelch round St Aidan’s is probably just what you need to refresh your spirits – and work off some of those Christmas calories. Even on the dullest of days, there is a splash of colour - and possibly a patch…

• Poppy's first nature experiences - Phil

From the moment my little girl was born, I just wanted to show her the world around us. I am well aware that without getting the next generation interested in nature and teaching them how to look after it, there may not be much left to see in the future.

Wanting to get Poppy interested in wildlife and nature from a young age, I racked my brains to think of ways to grab her attention and funnily enough it was her who…

• Fairburn Ings Sightings up to 8th Jan

George has been in the Aire Valley again , this time Fairburn Ings- here's her sightings blog for the week:

The new year has been welcomed in with a dusting of snow and icy clouds. A chance to sit with a cup of your favourite brew and take pleasure in watching our feathered visitors at the Fairburn feeders. Although the house was warm and there were still plenty of leftovers, it was time for trip to see whats been…

• St Aidan's Sightings - First of 2018

Happy new year to all of our visitors and readers, we've had some lovely sightings to report since the festive period. 

The big focus of the last week has been the great white egret. It's been seen from the visitor centre every day this week, which has provided brilliant views and photo opportunities! The egret is certainly getting its fill from the fish in Bowers Lake. Had a tasty pike (well done to Gavin for his…