• Farewell Fairburn

Time has flown by – cliché I know, but I cannot believe it’s already time for me to say farewell to Fairburn. It’s been a joy to be surrounded by so many unique and inspiring people, each totally different but completely dedicated to the same cause and for their love of Fairburn.

The enthusiasm of everyone here is hardly contained and it’s completely contagious. There is always a buzz of excitement…

• Recent Sightings: Family Volunteering

Family Volunteering was a great and luckily the rain held off all day. We started with a walk up to the heath land, a place visitors don’t normally get to see! It was such a treat to be up there and we immediately saw a great white egret, it flew over and landed in the top of a tree, in just the right spot for everyone to get a clear view.

Tools in hand, we traipsed through the mud, adding our footprints alongside…

• Recent Sightings: Signs of Spring

(Snow Drops, Andy Hay rspb-images)

As January draws to a close there are the very first signs of Spring in the air. Snowdrops are popping up amongst the undergrowth, skylarks have been heard singing on the Coal Tips Trail and I even heard a great spotted woodpecker drumming as I walked along the Discovery Trail, also hazel catkins.

(Great Spotted Woodpecker, Tom Marshall rspb-images)

A group of long tailed tits…