• Up the garden path - December 2014

Here's the latest blog from our Wildlife Garden team

Hi everyone! Its time for an update on our lovely wildlife garden here at rspb Fairburn Ings. One of the keys to wildlife gardening is creating a variety of habitats and making best use of the available space - no matter how small or awkward. Thats why we have recently installed a fabulous new green roof on the shelter. We've used sedums as they are evergreen,…

• Beardies, gulls and a cheeky weasel!

It’s been a busy old week for birds of prey here at Fairburn.  Buzzards have been spotted nearly every day with sightings at Newfield, Pick-up and from Lin Dike hide. Two red kites were also seen over Newfield at the weekend and another two flew over the visitor centre on Thursday.

On Monday there was a peregrine over Lin Dike, and another over Cedric’s pool on Tuesday. Down at Cedric’s there was also a…

• A Collective of Christmas Sightings

You’ll know about our charms of goldfinches and parliament of long-eared owls, but has anyone ever turned to you and said ‘oh just look at that mutation of thrushes’? – no, me neither...

What other weird and wonderful collectives can you see around the reserve?

Pheasant, Ben Hall (rspb-images.com)

Head off around the Discovery Trail where the tame robin has caused quite a stir with visitors…

• Red, gold and green, like my dreams: Recent sightings

Remember back in October when I suggested we could have heard the last chiffchaff song of the year? Well not quite... December 1st a chiffchaff was heard singing at the far end of the reserve near Hickson’s pool!  If you hear any more this year, please do let us know.

Chiffchaff, John Bridges (rspb-images.com)

There have been several goldeneye spotted on the reserve this week.  They’re not a particularly uncommon…