• A couple of commoners...and a barn owl!

The recent sightings book in the visitor centre is full of wonderful sightings, but alas, I have already written about many of the new and exciting arrivals! So, I thought it was probably about time we took a moment to appreciate some of the more common birds that are in the book on a regular basis.

Treecreepers are a little mouse-like in appearance and are never still, constantly moving up trees in search of food. They…

• Recent sightings: vibrant colours and aerial displays

How beautiful are redwings!? It was weeks ago that I wrote about the first sightings in the book and since then there has been a huge influx. This week I got my first real opportunity to stand and stare at one up-close. They are so vibrant, though I don’t know why I was surprised; photos never really prepare you for the real thing. I saw a pair of bullfinches this morning on my way along the Riverbank Trail and I think…

• What do ducklings, beards and mice have in common?

Together they make up this week's recent sightings!

Snipe, Andy Hay (rspb-images.com)

After a water rail seen at Pickup Hide in last week’s blog, the showmanship was taken to the next level yesterday when a water rail was spotted behind the kingfisher screen eating a ‘massive fish’, as described in the recent sightings book. Water rails have and incredibly varied diet and will eat everything from berries and…