• New spring wonders!

It has turned into a lovely day here at Fairburn and with the sun shining we’ve nearly all forgotten about the rain of yesterday! Our sightings book has been overloaded with common and arctic terns once again as they use our numerous supply of fish for feeding up! I was surprised the other morning as I dropped in on Charlie’s hide to see a large gang of godwits! I was a bit confused as to what type of godwits these were…

• Easter hops and terns!

After a hectic Easter week here at Fairburn Ings I think its time for a sightings blog! Butterflies are once again in full flow this week with plenty of orange-tips as more and more wildflowers are brightening up our hedges. The big green leaves of the garlic mustard are definitely taking over hedgerows with their petite white cluster of flowers on the top, looking very disproportionate! When you crush the leaves apparently…

• Somethings changing round here...

It’s been a beautiful week here at Fairburn Ings with plenty of new sightings to talk about! I having been lucky this week to attend our first ‘meet the moths’ and ‘mini-beast safari’ session and despite the wind we still managed to see loads. You’ve all probably noticed the mass surge of butterflies on the reserve since the suns started shining; with peacocks, small tortoiseshells, orange-tips, green-veined whites, speckled…

• More spring madness

It’s a beautiful day here at Fairburn! I have just been enjoying my sandwiches outside basking in the warm sunshine watching two mallards search for grubs with ‘the friendly robin’ sitting on the seat next to me whilst listening to great tits and chiffchaffs chirp happily away in the trees. I definitely had one of those ‘this is what it’s all about’ feelings! I now feel perfectly inspired to write this week’s blog! So…

• Springing up the garden path

Here's the latest blog from Louise, our wildlife garden volunteer

The birds are singing, the first flowers are out and you're thinking of putting that winter coat away. Yes spring is here and isn't it marvellous! I've been busy in the wildlife garden planting some new plants that will hopefully attract all those wonderful pollinators. If you're doing the same, try to make sure you plant things that provide pollen…

• 'A great white?'

With all this Sahara dust, it seems like a while since we have all seen the sky! However here at Fairburn there is still plenty to see. Down by the visitor centre our wildflower patch is showing its first visitor – cowslips. I love our native wildflowers so I always feel particularly excited when I notice the hedgerows and fields filling up with their delicate petals and splashes of colour amongst all the greenery. Cowslips…