• Is it Autumn yet?

You can really feel the changes of the seasons on the reserve, and the change into Autumn is one of the most obvious and beautiful. It's also the time when we'll get interesting sightings of birds on their migration down to warmer climes...and me wishing I could go with them! Keep an eye out and let us know what you see, we'll add it to the recent sightings board in the visitor centre and on here.

The last few…

• Top of the raptor pops at Fairburn Ings

We’ve had a fantastic week for raptors, with a Top Ten different species seen in the space of a few days!! Here's the count down of birds of prey at Fairburn Ings 

10. Kestrals have been seen over the visitor centre during the week

9. Peregrines were seen over Newfield plantation, and the Flashes

8. Hobby seen near the visitor centre several times, plus sightings at Cut Lane and Newfield plantation

7. Red…

• A final farewell to Fairburn Ings (as a member of staff of course...)

Well... what can I say... Friday was my last day working at the reserve as some of you may already know, I’m going to work for Welcome to Yorkshire in a new role (in which I will be working with and promoting the RSPB in Yorkshire, of course!)

I wanted to say my goodbyes in a blog so that I can share some of my highlights and experiences of working here with you all and hopefully inspire you to either visit the…

• It's the end of the summer holidays, but the birds are still here...

Once again the reserve is a hot spot for waders at the moment.  We’ve had little stint, ringed plover, greenshank, curlew, green sandpiper, dunlin, snipe, black tailed godwit and lapwing all seen regularly down at Lin Dike.  Lapwings are now being seen in particularly big numbers, with over 100 seen from Bob Dickens hide on Monday.  We’ve also had plenty of other water birds including little egret , garganey, gadwall…

• It's a wader wonderland

Our sightings book has been filled up almost every day for the last week, there have been some great wildlife sightings on the reserve.  In particular the waders, which can been seen most often down at the Lin Dike hide.

There have been a number of sightings of curlew sandpipers, from Lin Dike and at the Moat, with 5 seen at Lin Dike this morning.  Ruff have also been seen in good numbers from Lin Dike, New Flash, Spoonbill…