Adwick Drylands!!

I had a couple of hours at Adwick this morning and boy was it dry we desperately need some rain.

From the Bolton end was a Lapwing wondering where all the water had gone.

Arriving at the view point I watched a Buzzard gliding gracefully high up in the sun...until I realised it was this...

also at the view point was this Goldie

also spotted 4 Whitethroat, juvenile Robin, 2 Dunnocks, I female Linnet down by the water, along with 4 Herons a good number of Lapwings Greylags and Canandas, Black Headed Gulls and what looked like 1 Lesser/Great Black Backed Gull.

On my way back to the Bolton end I had a wander up the first path and came across 2 of these chaps.

Weasel

then home to do a rain dance!!!

My Flickr photos

• Alan W said:

Any pics of that D?

Friday is the day so I see on weather forecast ... we can all put our cozzies on & dance in the streets!! Lol  

Thank goodness rain not here til after dark!

Of course it does mean the lunar eclipse could be a washout!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

WendyBartter said:

Any pics of that D?

Friday is the day so I see on weather forecast ... we can all put our cozzies on & dance in the streets!! Lol  

Thank goodness rain not here til after dark!

Of course it does mean the lunar eclipse could be a washout!

[/quote]

The thunderstorms will be localised, so some areas could completely miss out on them, while others will have torrential downpours and possibly floods. Luckily I live on a hill in Gateshead near Newcastle, so the rain If it’s really torrential just all flows down to the tyne. But some people who live lower down than me could get flooded in Gateshead.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

The Government  should appoint a Minister of Drought. It worked in 1976. Trouble is it didn't stop raining for weeks after that and we went from drought to floods.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

A cracking day out you had Alan, lovely photos.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Catlady:

What a fabulous day of sightings Alan and stunning photos;  as you say it is so desperately dry everywhere and I can't understand why a hosepipe ban isn't already in force.   Is that a Red Kite ?  

Regards, Hazel 

My Flickr. photo  link HERE 

• In reply to HAZY:

Some good stuff, especially the weasel(s) for me.

Sadly some people would only complain if the bans were introduced too quickly. In the NW we have been told if it doesn't rain substantially before Aug then the ban will come into force (on the 5th I think) and some even complained about that. I think the odd thunderstorm isn't likely to make the difference, especially as they've just rescinded the adverse weather warnings for the region.

Nige   Flickr

• In reply to Nigel O:

Brilliant sightings Alan and top pictures! Oh, and would you pick me some lottery numbers? LOL - Ace! :)

• In reply to Andrew:

Hiya Alan, some great sightings there! Just wondered if you'd mind us using a few of your lapwing pics for a future blog re the crassula both dying off and regrowing following rotavating work? The request comes via Karen, assist warden. Ta :)

• In reply to Nicola_volunteer:

Hi Nicola yep take what you want.

I was speaking to a couple of bikers that grew up playing in that area when it was a field and they were wondering if it had been ploughed recently or was it like that after the RSPB took it over years ago?

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Thanks Alan, it was rotavated fairly recently as far as I know.