The Secret Hide

I have discovered a secret hide at Old Moor. But I will reveal that later.  Down at the reed bed screen  a bittern was booming, and hiding. Such a tantilising sound, so near and yet so far away.    Of course it did fly , when I was looking the wrong way, but never mind. Next time. There really was nothing much occurring at the reedbed hide  - the usual suspects. Black headed gulls were certainly having fun and little grebes doing what they do. Was this to be my first poor day at Old Moor? I  retraced my steps and dropped into the bittern hide. Things were hotting up (photographically and climatically). Reed warblers (I know you will correct me if it was some other bird - still very much a novice)  were showing well, if sporadically. 

I came over all artistic whilst waiting for something to happen but after the warbler nothing much did.  

In the garden a magpie took a bath.

It was time then to go to the Secret Hide. This is really a fantastic spot. 

And no other hide provides tea , cheese scones and a wonderful viewing platform! 

Another great day at Old Moor, something always happens here! 

• Lovely shots, glad you managed to enjoy yourself despite the relative lack of activity. Tea and scones always help :)

If you really want to enhance your chances of some great Bittern shots why not volunteer to sit in the staff hide for a morning or afternoon? They're looking for people to track the birds' movements during the breeding season - and you can take your camera with you!

I did a couple of sessions last year and was rewarded with a number of sightings and some great pictures.

Regards

Ian