• RSPB Old Moors New Year Day List 2022

Send your 2022 new years day list to:

julian.mayston@rspb.org.uk 

And get your bird listings published here.

Happy New Year to G Joinery:

Magpie, Blackbird, Bullfinch, Moorhen, Great tit, Blue tit, Robin, Cormorant, Wigeon, Pochard, Shoveler, Coot, Gadwell, Common gull, Canada goose, Long tailed tit, Pheasant, Chaffinch, Shelduck, Crow, Mallard, Pied wagtail, Lapwing, Teal, Mute swan, Tufted duck, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Dunnock, Reed bunting

Emma…

• View from the Shed by Shaun Finnie - LONG DISTANCE VOYAGERS

LONG DISTANCE VOYAGERS

I have been known to take a few birding trips around the UK in my time. I'm not one of those people who react to a sighting of a rare bird species by dropping everything and haring across the country in hopes of spotting an infrequent feathered visitor before it continues on its way or (Heaven forbid) a predator gets it. Good luck to those who enjoy their birding like that, they're sure to see far…

• View from the Shed by Shaun Finnie - YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT

YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT

I was sitting at the Reedbed Screen here at Old Moor, scanning the sea of gently swaying reeds in the hope of seeing a kingfisher, bearded tit or maybe even an elusive bittern. Anything really, it didn't matter. I was just pleased to be out on a mild end-of-the-year day, away from the stresses of home or office.

I try not to take my birding too seriously. Of course I'm really…

• View from the Shed by Shaun Finnie - WINTER IS COMING

WINTER IS COMING

Game Of Thrones fans will recognise the title of today's piece as the House of Stark's family motto. The weather forecasters would say that Winter is already here, meteorologically speaking. The first of December equals the start of Winter according to them. Most of us normal folks say that the seasons don't change until the Winter Equinox, the 21st of this month. Some Scandinavians claim that…

• View from the Shed by Shaun Finnie - HALCYON DAYS

HALCYON DAYS

We've been doing a lot of work at RSPB Old Moor recently, most obviously in starting to create a new path alongside Green Lane so that, fairly soon, visitors will be able loop around this section of the reserve rather than simply walking up Green Lane and back again. We're also reforming the area around our Field Pool West hide in the hope of increasing the number of wading birds on the reserve, especially…

• View from the Shed by Shaun Finnie - THERE ARE ELK AT OLD MOOR

THERE ARE ELK AT OLD MOOR

Here at RSPB Old Moor we have a great big cob (male) MUTE SWAN. If he sees an interloper in his territory or a threat to his pen (female) and any young they have then he'll fluff up to his full size and make a great show of fake charging, just like a grizzly bear would. If that fails, then he'll go into full flappy attack mode. This is again similar to what a grizzly would do but he's whiter…

• Celebrate your inner Robin on our adventure trail this Christmas

Celebrate your inner Robin on our adventure trail this Christmas

Credit Aardman/Netflix.

We’re delighted to be partnering with Netflix and Aardman on Robin Robin, a half-hour, stop-motion, festive story for the whole family, about a young robin trying to fit in. It’s debuting on Netflix on 24 November – get the date in your diary!

To celebrate, we’re inviting you to join exclusive Robin Robi…

• View from the Shed by Shaun Finnie - Its not Just Birds

IT'S NOT JUST BIRDS

To steal an old joke, what's the difference between a WEASEL and a STOAT?
    A weasel is weaselly identified. A stoat is stoatally different.

RSPB Old Moor isn't just a great place to walk, relax and see plenty of beautiful birds. If you're lucky enough you might also spot a mammal or two as you stroll around the reserve. The ones that you're most likely to see are of course GREY SQUIRRELS or…

• Jane Wilkinson's RSPB Dearne Valley Eye Opening Blog #4

The Dearne Valley Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI)

Earlier this year the news broke that the Dearne Valley had been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), and we thought we might cover this in this edition of the blog, and speculate as to what it means for the area.

Richard Barnard is the RSPB’s person in charge of the reserves in this area, and at the time the designation…

• View from the Shed by Shaun Finnie - Initial Views

INITIAL VIEWS

Welcome to VIEW FROM THE SHED, a new blog from the RSPB's Old Moor reserve in South Yorkshire. I'm Volunteer Shaun and each week I'll be providing my views, be they sightings around the reserve or my opinions based on them. They're my views and mine alone. I hope you enjoy them.

Come and have a chat with me at Old Moor's entrance courtyard. I'm there a few days each week. I'm the 'big-boned…

• David Pritchard's Weird and Wonderful World of Dragonflies

Willow Emerald damselflies: What’s all the fuss?

If you happened to be at the reserve on the 7th of October, you’ll no doubt have been told that we saw Old Moor’s first Willow Emerald Damselfly that day. While I failed to photograph it on the day, I do have these images from another location earlier this year.

Willow Emerald, Cleethorpes, July 2021

This was an exciting find for me, as the species…

• My Lunch Time Break by Harriet Day

My Lunch Break Birding by Harriet Day

A quick hour at one of my favourite nature reserves, Old Moor after work, ties and other responsibilities, it had begun to to feel like there weren't enough hours in the day, to spend time on my favourite hobby, bird watching! After 12 months of not visiting Old Moor I appreciated the changes. Within my time I was fortunate to watch a Little Grebe that appeared to be having his lunch…

• David Pritchards weird and Wonderful World of Dragonflies

Spotlight Species - Southern Hawkers

Banking Southern Hawker        D Pritchard

I’ve never seen more Southern Hawkers than I have at Old Moor this year. They are a fairly common species, but tend to disperse from their breeding ponds quite quickly, so it’s unusual to see them interacting regularly. However, there are several individuals to be seen around the visitor centre at the moment.

They have a presence…

• RSPB Dearne Valley - Eye opening #3 by Jane Wilkinson

Adwick Washland - a potted history

As our regular visitors will know, RSPB Dearne Valley is made up of Old Moor, Adwick Washland, Edderthorpe Flash, Bolton Ings, Gypsy March, Wombwell Ings, and Houghton Washlands. This time, the blog focusses on the transformation of Adwick Washland into the wonderful reserve it is today.

Adwick Washland             Matthew Capper

Background

In 2007 Natural England (NE), the Environment Agency…

• David Pritchards Weird and Wonderful World of Dragonflies

Dragonfly Behaviour

We’re now roughly halfway through this year’s dragonfly season, and there is no better time to watch the behaviours of these fascinating creatures. While the first half generally has a slightly greater variety of species, the second half carries its own advantages.

From now until late October, even into November if the weather is mild, Old Moor is host to high numbers of Common Darters…

• RSPB Dearne Valley, Eye Opening #2 by Jane Wilkinson

Welcome to the second instalment of RSPB Dearne Valley - Eye Opening

To follow the journey some of the key species in the Dearne Valley, I recommended that you read the first blog by following this link: 

#1 RSPB Dearne Valley - Eye Opening

Bittern in the Dearne Valley: Eggs and things:

The management of the reeds at Dearne Valley has led to fantastic success for bitterns, but it is also a success for other species too…

What’s in a name? - The trouble with Hawkers

Let’s talk about the names of dragonflies.

While there are some romanticised names out there, such us Demoiselle or Emperor, most dragonflies are named for characteristics that seem stupidly obvious once get to know them.

Chasers defend an area and chase away anything that comes near. One of them has a noticeably wider body than most of the others, so in the…

Eye for an Eye

Common Darter. Basically a flying surveillance system.           D Pritchard

It’s not just the wings that make dragonflies and damselflies such successful predators, it’s the fact they’re attached to some of the best image capture systems that nature has come up with.

The arrangement of the large compound eyes can help you tell the difference between the two groups of…

• David Pritchards Weird and Wonderful World of Dragonflies - Wings

It’s all about the wings

Freshly emerged (or ‘teneral’) Common Darter - D Pritchard

Let's be honest: if a dragonfly crawled through the grass running down other creatures to eat, most people would find them utterly terrifying.

There's something about the addition of wings that adds a layer of magic to them, and has us marvelling at their beauty and agility.

As with things in nature though…

• David Pitchard's Weird and Wonderful World of Dragonflies

The Weird and Wonderful World of Dragonflies - an Introduction

Hi, I am David Pritchard and I've been visiting Old Moor since I moved here ten years ago. I don't own a pair of binoculars. I don't have a scope. I've only recently acquired a telephoto lens. Only in the last year have I started to build an interest and understanding of birds. This tends to confuse a lot of people as I walk around.…
  • RSPB Dearne Valley, Eye-opening by Jane Wilkinson

Bittern in the Dearne Valley:

Readers of Nature’s Home magazine, and watchers of BBC’s Autumnwatch will be familiar with one of the star species at RSPB Dearne Valley, the Bittern. And current visitors to Old Moor will notice that the path from the Bus Stop to the Reedbed Hide is not open.  Here’s why.  

In 1997, there were only 11 booming males in the whole of the UK. A key…

• National Volunteering Week 2021

This year's National Volunteer Week (1-7 June) has given me a bit of a pause for thought. 

We have of course taken the opportunity to celebrate some of our wonderful existing volunteers, (If you haven't seen the daily posts on our social media channels, have a look at our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/OldMoorRSPB) and highlight some of our available volunteering opportunities (https://cutt.ly/fnt19Rc)

• What does "Site of Special Scientific Interest" mean for the Dearne Valley? With a Nod to the pioneers of Wath Ings.

The Dearne Valley Green Heart Partnership comprising of The RSPB, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust, Garganey Trust and Environment Agency along with Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster Borough Councils, have been working with Natural England (the governments advisors on the natural environment) towards the accreditation of SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) status that officially protects vital habitats along the Dearne…

• What’s going on at Wombwell?

The sharp eyed amongst our visitors may have spotted a mysterious path that has appeared in the grass around Wombwell Ings, one of the satellite sites managed by the team here in the Dearne Valley. This isn’t a mysterious crop circle, but it is marking out the path of an essential piece of habitat improvement work on the reserve.

Giving Nature a Home at Wombwell Ings, an NLHF funded project.

As part of the Giving…

• The Dearne Valley's original birders - say hello to Sid!

Sid Renauf’s emotive interview in the first episode of this season’s Autumnwatch touched hearts and minds, so we thought you might enjoy reading a little more of the backstory to the miners who first realised the wildlife potential of Wath Ings.

Sid’s a familiar face at RSPB Old Moor; a much-loved volunteer and avid birder, his connection to this special place goes back far beyond any RSPB involvement with…