Coquet Island

Just returned from a family holiday in the Hauxley area - Coquet Island visible from our location. Interested in what's going on there in restoration and conservation. Kind regards 

• If you're on facebook they post bits + pieces there about what's happening on the island. Did you go on a trip out from Amble?

Not been out for years - mad now we live so close - esp as its the only reserve near us.

• Ospey, Thanks for the tip about Facebook. No we did not take the boat trip from Amble as the children's ages range from 2 - 8 yrs. Took some photos from Amble jetty and Low Hauxley shore. Quite an important RSPB site by all accounts. Kind regards

• Hi Red Kite. as you know this island is so v v important to the Rosette Terns - world wide + its here on the door step!!

I often take the kids out on the boats to see local islands -The Bass, The Farnes, The Coquet + have done so since they were tiny, wrapped no4 as I took the others out to the Bass he did fine high up on my back. The others have been around 18mths when they 1st went out. At the moment I have 4 between 3 + 13yrs - not been out this summer but you have inspired me to get them out in the spring. We can do the Coquet in an evening after school!!

Hope you enjoyed your trip + when I get out in the spring I will let you know what we saw!!

• Hello Osprey, My children and I still recall our boat-trip to the Farne Islands: wrapped up in waterproofs and sitting under a tarpauline on an open coble boat in sea conditions that resembled a Grace Darling rescue. Up and down in the swell, looking down at water as the boat rolled and getting covered in spray. Ah, the smell of the ozone: something to tell your friends back home about!

Needless to say, my wife and youngest child stayed behind on the sheltered quayside and waved us off! Bon voyages.

• Hello Osprey, My children and I still recall our boat-trip to the Farne Islands: wrapped up in waterproofs and sitting under a tarpauline on an open coble boat in sea conditions that resembled a Grace Darling rescue. Up and down in the swell, looking down at water as the boat rolled and getting covered in spray. Ah, the smell of the ozone: something to tell your friends back home about!

Needless to say, my wife and youngest child stayed behind on the sheltered quayside and waved us off! Bon voyages.