Trip to Campfield Marsh

I'm travelling to visit Campfield Marsh by coach with the Newcastle Upon Tyne RSPB Group from Tyne and Wear on Saturday 18th February and I'm wondering whether anyone can tell me what the birdlife is like at Campfield Marsh?

• I think it's quite varied, though I've yet to visit.  Here's a link to their home page.

I do remember their bloggers describing it as 'raptor central' a few years ago - peregrine, buzzard, marsh harrier, hen harrier, sparrowhawk.  I've wanted to visit it ever since reading that!

• There are a lot of wildfowl on the reserve and waders seen from the saltmarsh, especially at high tide. There have been a lot of geese around, mainly barnacle with some pink feet. There has also been a ring tail hen harrier seen frequently hunting in front of the hide, in addition to ketrels, peregrines, buzzards and sparrowhawks.Other things being seen regularly are great spotted woodpeckers, bullfinches and long tailed tits.

• Hi Thom,

John and I have written the Community blogs for this site since its inception and if you look back to the February blogs in previous years, you can probably get a good idea of what you can might expect to see on the Reserve in February.

Here are some links for last year for your convenience:

24th February 2016

www.rspb.org.uk/.../february-24th-was-a-lucky-dip-day.aspx

12th - 18th February 2016

www.rspb.org.uk/.../archive-end-of-february-2016.aspx

20th – 29th February 2016

www.rspb.org.uk/.../late-february-2016-archive.aspx

For Estuary watching though, you get closer view of birds with a midday high tide. Unfortunately the high tide times for the 18th February  are  at 4.37am and 4.59pm with a receding high water. Note - the Saturdays either side of this date are almost perfect!

Campfield Marsh Reserve has a large car park and visitors centre where you can get self service hot drinks and soup. It has a loo and at weekends is manned by a group of volunteers who will provide you with all the information you will need to make your visit a happy one.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Judith