Puffins in Dorset

Good afternoon - I wonder if you can help me?
I have a question that isnt actually abour Arne (hope you dont mind?)
I plan to go bird watching this weekend and am hoping to see some puffins. I understand that puffins can be found at Dancing Ledge - not sure if you can confirm that? What I dont know is how to get there - is it possible to see the puffins from land? Or do you have to approach the cliffs from the sea? I dont want to walk all the way to Dancing Ledge only to discover you cant see anything from the land!!
Many thanks
  • Hi brahma,to get to dancing ledge you have to Langton Matravers and there is a car park ther down at the end of a road near a hotel,park ther probably a free N T car park you then walk to dancing ledge past think it is called Spyways Barn but to see the Puffins you have to walk approx 200 yards west of the rock swimming pool and get really close to cliff edge with good binoculars,that is where we have seen them anyway,good luck,best I can do for you and probably need to get a map up on PC to see exactly.

• Hi Sooty, thanks for your reply.  Can you get a decent view from there? Are you looking down on the puffins?  Was hoping to get some photos - do you think that would be possible?

• Very difficult to know what is called a decent view,probably depends on good equipment like scope and good lens on camera to magnify as you are really high up and you do have to get close to the edge to look down but it is the most likely place to see them without going a very long way I think.

• Hi there, just to add to Sooty's comments, I suggest a phone call to Durlston Country Park rangers would be a good idea before you go too.  They will give you a clear indication of likely sightings and where as they keep an eye on things regularly as well as running the birdboats to hopefully see Puffins too but it is a very small colony.  Their tel.no.is 01929 424443.