First visit

I had a wonderful few hours at Arne today. What a fantastic place. Staff helpful and friendly. manage to see 2 lesser spotted woodpeckers. saw many other birds.I am new to this, so I am not familiar with the variety that I saw.

Arne is a fantastic place and I look forward to my next visit.

Only one gripe the other  visiters were rather reluctant just to say hello.as I passed them. This really surprised me. Put me off little bit.

Mollyy

• Lesser-spotted?? Never seen one at Arne - lucky you!

The other visitors were probably just jealous. :-)

• Don't let that put you off Molly it happens at various times in lots of places and on other days lots of people will speak to you at Arne,think it is normally a very friendly place.By the way do you know that they have free guided walks on every Wednesday unless they have altered their policy and also in my opinion Winter time at Arne is even better than summer.

Pleased you had a nice time.  

• If they dont speak perhaps they are not worthy of speaking too!..enjoy your visits and dont let others annoy you..plenty to see and do to keep you occupied..Doms always free for a chat and a tour when he's in Dorset..:-)

• Had my first vist a couple of week ends ago now, had a couple of people say hello  and said hello to a a couple of people . Did feel a bit strange walking round with a camera though, hopefully should be at Arne some time this week-end.

• Former Contributor
    Former Contributor 23/05/2012 05:52 in reply to Woody

Hi Molly, I am glad you had a great first visit and don't hesitate to make a return visit. Try coming along to one of our wednesday walk at 10 am. They are a great way to learn more about the reserve!

• Former Contributor
    Former Contributor 23/05/2012 05:57 in reply to Woody

Hi Woody - glad you visited Arne. It shouldn't feel strange walking around with a camera, Arne is an extemely popular place for photographers and this is an ever increasing audience. In fact we have run two successful photographic competitions and check out all the great photos on our forum!

• Molly, really hope it hasn't put you off too much, Arne is a wonderful place and as you say the staff are always very friendly and helpful.  We have experienced the same thing with people not saying hello, we always make a point of saying hello when and pointing out interesting things, which is another thing some people are reluctant to share.  However, for the most part people are friendly.  And I've even met someone who also post in the Kestrel blog.  Really hope you become an Arne regular, it's worth it! :-)

• Lesser spotted? well never seen one there either, so it is probably what we call the luck of the beginner ;-) today I saw at least 4/5 photographers (with big lens) and we always wave even though we have never met, generally people there are quite nice (and I don't speak about the staff, they are great! well, they cannot identify the song of a linnet, but that's a lesser sin :D)

• Lesser spotted, could I enquire where? as I have never seen one either and would love the chance to do so. Dave.

• Hi Molly, sorry you found some people unfriendly, it's usually the opposite most of the time, am suffering from Arne withdrawal symptoms as just back from hols, if I'd been there I would certainly have had a chat :-)  As JoT said, it's also nice to meet forumites and put faces to nicknames!